Existing Member?

4 Over 5: The World is My Home

Murphy's Law

THAILAND | Sunday, 18 January 2015 | Views [333]

The Thai people and foreigners alike love Chiang Mai.  Most do not consider a trip to Thailand complete without a visit here.  It is considered the gateway to the North and is what UNESCO calls a Creative City.

For me it will forever be the city where everything that could go wrong has.  From spending an afternoon at the hospital, overpaying for a hotel that is nothing like they advertised, and today breaking my good camera simply by putting it into my knapsack while my room was cleaned.  Really, I can't wait to leave.  Unlike every other city I have been to in Asia, the people here are not all that friendly either.  In fact, the nicest people I have met here were from Bangkok!  

The irony is that I have to stay an extra day for a follow-up with the opthamologist.  Did I mention that I have a severe infection in my eyes?  This has meant that I have not been allowed to participate in the outdoor activities the area is known for. I am not even allowed to go hiking until my follow-up.  

The extra doctor's visit has also meant that I had to change my flight which cost me an extra US$50 and another night in this expensive dud of a hotel.

So I have nursed my emotional wounds by eating my way through the Saturday and Sunday markets.  I have tried Taro ice cream, passion fruit smoothies, mushroom spring rolls, fish curry soup, gelatinous Thai sweets and, well, so much more! I have let my sense of smell guide me.  It, at least,  has not let me down.

The markets are a real sight too - if you can get past the enormous crowds.  It is a shopper's paradise.  I love all the colours and variety of handicrafts.  One of my favourite items was an enormous handpainted basket and a pair of shoes.  I did not buy either. Actually, I exercised enormous restraint I have to say, if only because my bag seems to be getting heavier. Strange how that happens.

Tags: hospital, market, street food

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.