Existing Member?

Andy & Anita's adventures

Luxembourg

LUXEMBOURG | Tuesday, 25 May 2010 | Views [117]

As the storm-clouds loomed overhead and lightening struck in the distance we continued on to Luxemburg; arriving quite late at night. This is where the trouble began. With no directions and no booking we proceeded to drive aimlessly around the city for about 2 hours looking for a hotel (big fail Lonely Planet – their recommendation didn’t exist anymore... but we did illegally download the guides so I suppose we should also shoulder the blame!!). Finally we found a place near the airport that suited our budget and gave us a place to recover from the drive.


So onto Luxemberg... We want to move here so bad!! It is clean, prosperous and everyone seems affluent (the cars are so fancy I can’t even pronounce their names!). We drove to the old city; parked; and grabbed bikes so we could ride from place to place. The city is breathtaking.... I loved everything about it from the river to the mammoth bridges to the cute pastry shops and touristy crap on every corner.

From Luxemburg it was a short but increadibly scenic drive to Diekirch – mainly so we could checkout the ‘Musee National d’Histoire Militaire’ – a Museum dedicated to Luxemburg’s reluctant contribution to WW2 (think ‘Battle of the Ardennes’) . The drive and the town were amazing and we highly recommend that everyone put Luxemburg on their ‘to visit’ list.

From there it was onto the German border near Trier before stopping for the night at a little town called Schweich – so cute and perfect to sit by the river with a drink and a sandwich dinner after a long day 

As a footnote – we also discovered the joy of ‘Real’; a chain store bigger then Bunnings, selling everything you can imagine and cheap as chips. They had a whole aisle dedicated to Milka chocolate – my fave thing in Europe!! I think I am going to get fat on this holiday! Haha I know what you are thinking – not exactly ‘buying local’ and it is hardly regionally authentic – but it IS incredibly convenient to find a store like that when you are on the road all day and can’t be bothered looking for a snack or more soap or whatever.

 

About miss_nita


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Luxembourg

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.