Existing Member?

Mouthful of Joy

Understanding a Culture through Food - Mouthful of Joy

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [285] | Scholarship Entry

"Jettu, are we going the right way?" It was my last day in Cochin and I wasn't going to waste any time.
"Jettu, I think we went up the main street yesterday."
I had a feeling it was going to be a repeat of the other day where all afternoon was spent at a sweet shop owned by a friend of Jettu's.
"Madam, we will be going to the best biryani in all of Cochin! It will give you energy for the temple!"
I sighed and I sat back down in the speeding tuk tuk. I wasn't even hungry. But I didn't want to damper Jettu's enthusiasm-he is just so passionate about his city.

We arrived at a small restaurant. It looked like any other shop on the road. The interior was simple. A couple of tables with rows of metal fans whirling on the ceiling. We squeezed next to a mother and her children. All crammed in the booths eating the same dish on identical plates.
I looked at the yellow rice served with brown sauce. It looked like any other biryani I've tried in India.
Jettu came back with a plate of food.
"Here madam, I brought you lamb!"
Might as well I thought and brought the spoon to my mouth.

The effect was immediate.
Moist pearls of rice in perfect harmony with the strands of fried onions. The blend of spices, each taking its turn bouncing off my tongue. It tastes of the hazy outline the sun makes at dusk and the prickly scent that lingers in the air all throughout this country. A wave of warmth and comfort washes over me.

I look up to see Jettu and several men in aprons.
Jettu smiles and hands me a small dish of chutney.
"It is not the best biryani no?"
I nod and then it hit me.
I knew exactly what it was-it tasted of familiarity. I tasted all the kindness and hospitality I've experienced in this biryani.
"It tastes of India Jettu, nothing more nothing less"

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About miisong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.