Existing Member?

Matt & Mercaders - The World Tour

Costa Rica

COSTA RICA | Monday, 16 February 2009 | Views [1093]

We met Cara and Polly in the city of San Jose and it was all very exciting as I hadn't seen Cara since we left England in July. After a quick catch up they jumped on a bus to head to Puerto Viejo, on the coast, where Matt and I would be joining them the next day. We spent the rest of the day in San Jose, where we had found ourselves a really lovely hostel. That was about all that was lovely about San Jose to be honest. We spent a further 4 days there at the end of our stint in Costa Rica and it didn't really get any better. It is not an attractive city and is lacking in any real culture, it is very busy but you can't walk anywhere at night as it is too dangerous. Other than going out for lunch and dinner, which is very expensive, and visiting the few random museums there isn't much else to do.

Puerto Viejo is a surfer/traveller town on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica. We were very kindly being put up by a guy called Edwin, a friend of Polly's family. I must just dedicate a little time to describing Edwin as he was such a feature of our time in Costa Rica! He is a mid-forty year old, ex pro-surfer - he was actually the first person to surf in the Antarctic. He originates from Argentina but, after spending time in various different parts of the world, has now been settled in Puerto Viejo for many years. He is a great big bear of a man, not fat you understand, just big and very kind and gentle with a very soft voice. He lives in a gorgeous bungalow that he had built in the jungle, about 15 minutes drive from the main town, that has completely open sides.

Known to make comments such as “No don't turn it on, I'm done with light for today” and “surfers love sushi, it helps them connect with the ocean” and even “the economy is like malaria man – you've got to ride it out”... he is basically a hippy, but intelligent with it as he can speak about 5 different languages. Anyway, he also has two other bungalows in the jungle, complete with open sides but these ones have netting round them, one of which he was very kindly allowing us to stay in for the duration of our stay.

That first night we headed over to Edwin's for supper where Cara and Polly, both chefs, were cooking the first of many delicious meals that me and Matt were to enjoy over the next couple of weeks. We also met Mika, a 20 year old Russian princess who was travelling round Costa Rica for 3 weeks and was staying in one of the rooms in Edwin's bungalow.

After much drinking by us and some excellent chat over the course of the evening, Mika persuaded us to head into town to go dancing. We were all having a great time in a little salsa bar, the rum and cokes were flying around, we were all confident that our form was great, Mika got her little dance ... then decided she wanted to go home. With only enough money between us for one taxi ride home and no chance of getting us out of the bar at this stage, not to mention the fact that the whole thing had been her idea, things took a small turn for the worse. The rest of this night is probably best documented in the photos we have of us looking exuberant, raucous, and probably a bit rough, whilst Mika refuses to even look at the camera.

The next day the rain started. It was torrential and it didn't stop for our entire stay. We hung out in the bungalow until it seemed like it had eased a bit and then donned our waterproofs for the long walk into town. We had decided to rent some bikes as a means of getting around. Our bikes were old and simple but effective – they even had little baskets on the front to keep things in. They don't have brakes, you basically have to pedal backwards when you want to stop.

On day two, the rain seemed to ease slightly so we decided to go for a lovely long bike ride to the next town along. So, looking like Elliot and his friends from ET, we precariously set off down the bumpy, rocky track that lead to the road. After no more than 3 minutes the heavens opened and we were soaked through within 30 seconds, no lie. We looked like we had jumped into a swimming pool with our clothes on. After pointlessly taking shelter at the end of the track we came up with the only possible solution – we would go to the shop, stock up on some food and loads of booze and head back to hang out in the bungalow. And this we did... for the next four days, interspersing our time with a lot of cards and retro games, eg  consequences.

Our plan was to go from Puerto Viejo to Bocas del Toro in Panama but, due to the rain, the boarder crossing had washed away. Instead we headed over to Jaco on the Pacific Coast where a friend of Edwin's was going to give us a reduced rate at his yoga retreat. The one thing we all agreed on was that we needed to be nearer the town. Jaco is a formally beautiful beach location which is now so overdeveloped you can't even see the beach anymore. We got off the bus and hopped in a taxi to the address Edwin had given us – 10 minutes later, we arrived in the middle of nowhere. But it was a lovely little place with a pool and a bar and we were only going to stay for a couple of days ... so we decided to stay despite our earlier agreement.

We spent a couple of days relaxing by the pool, enjoying the sun and warmth – at least me and Cara did. Polly and Matt became a little restless and while Matt could fill his time playing in the pool or on the internet, Polly would frequently disappear, complete with massive headphones, on long, punishing walks.

We did have one night out in Wacko, as it came to be called, but predictably this was fairly dreadful.

Our next and final stop was Montezuma, a little hippy town further down the coast. We took a boat trip over there, during which we were lucky enough to see some dolphins. They were swimming around the boat and it was really lovely to watch them.

Our main aim in accommodation this time was to definitely be walking distance from the town, and if possible have access to a kitchen so we could save some money by cooking. After finding a couple of possibilities, we were put in touch with Heraldo who had a little house, just up the hill, that was in our price range. A little walk up and down the hill each day sounded fine, good for us in fact, plus we would have all the amenities of a house. 15 minutes later when Heraldo had driven us up a vertical hill we arrived. It was really nice and we were here now, and it would be easy to get a taxi ... we decided to take it.

The next few days were spent lazing around on the beach, enjoying some yummy home cooked food, avoiding the crazy eyed, hectic, paranoid Heraldo and, the highlight, indulging in our daily happy hour cocktails at the smart little hotel, Ylang Ylang.

After Montezuma it was back to San Jose for Matt and I and on to Panama for Polly and Cara. Costa Rica itself is pleasant but nothing much to write home about, however, our time will become another highlight because of the good times we had there with Cara and Polly.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.