Existing Member?

Matt & Mercaders - The World Tour

Hong Kong

HONG KONG | Thursday, 15 January 2009 | Views [823] | Comments [1]

Arriving in Hong Kong airport was like arriving on a different planet after India. It is the most impressive airport Ive ever seen, so modern and efficient looking and absolutely spotless. I think by the time we were aboard the 3-stop train that took us right to where we needed to go, wed already decided we loved Hong Kong.

And things just got better. Wed decided to give ourselves a little treat and book ourselves a hotel for the few days we were there, but obviously the budget needed to be taken into consideration so we used lastminute.com. Well Hotel Jen turned out to be a real find! We had somehow ended up, quite legitimately, with this Executive deal which entitled us to free internet in the room and up to 100$HK worth free from the mini bar. It also included a cooked breakfast up in the special Sky Lounge – it gives a great view out over the city.

On top of this, we were invited to spend two hours each evening in said sky lounge, guzzling delicious free cocktails, made to order! Oh and little Chinese nibbles too. The waitress would even come up to our table, ten minutes before the two hours ended, and tell us to get our last order in before time was up. So there we were, two slightly weary travellers, with only 2 outfits to our name, mixing with the execs up in the Sky Lounge.

On our first night we headed out to the area of Lan Kwai Fong and Soho for some food. Id like to say we got straight into the new culture and had a delicious authentic Chinese meal. But that would be a lie because in actual fact we were both desperate for a bloody burger and chips, with Mayo! It was a Saturday and the whole area was buzzing and there was a really good atmosphere, it really wasn't dissimilar from being out in London. We went to a bar and had a couple of cocktails and basically just drank in the atmosphere of a really cool city.

Due to aforementioned budget, we had to think of ways of exploring this city without it costing too much. So we armed ourselves with our free guides and headed out the door and spent the next four days walking everywhere, or getting the occasional subway (SO efficient).

We took the subway over to the Island of Kowloon. We did two separate walks here over the days. One takes you through the old part of the island and some areas of it are quite run down. Its also full of markets, and not just for material items – there was a Goldfish market and a Bird Garden (but really a market selling birds), a flower market and a jade market. Jade is actually very popular in Hong Kong and its an old tradition to carry it on your person as they believe it protects us. Apparently. Basically everybody has now cottoned on to this and are selling all kinds of bits and bobs made with jade, or rather different materials masquerading as jade. The market was full of the stuff but there is a street, Jade Street in fact, where there are some shops selling legitimate jade for a high price.

The second walk we did in Kowloon was in a much more modern part of the Island. There are some huge, incredible shopping malls and designer shops (only window shopping for us though!). We saw the clock tower and also walked down the Avenue of Stars – not many I knew but still stars. We caught the Star Ferry back to Hong Kong Island.

The rest of our exploration saw us having a great time on and around Hong Kong Island. We went up the Worlds longest covered escalator in Soho and visited the Man Mo Temple, where there were a lot of shrines and lanterns burning. We went on the Peak tram up to the Peak Tower Sky Terrace. You can basically look out at the best views of the city. The Peak tram is a tad hairy as it takes you up an incline so steep that buildings look like they are leaning at a 45 degree angle.

I must just talk about the plane check in system in Hong Kong for those of you that don't know about it. On our last day we checked out of the hotel and got a short cab ride directly to the central train station. Here we queued for all of 5 minutes before being very efficiently checked in for our pm flight. Off went the bags and all we had to do was spend a leisurely afternoon in Hong Kong before heading out to the (super cool) airport and calmly going through security and boarding our flight to Australia. Really, it was that easy.

Oh there was just one more stop – to the M&S food market! Seriously, we were so excited – that will be a bag of American style chocolate covered peanuts, a packet of chocolate Viennese biscuits...

 

Comments

1

Sounds like an amazing city. What was the mayo like in Hong Kong?

  sam Jan 27, 2009 9:29 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.