Existing Member?

Matt & Mercaders - The World Tour

Spain

SPAIN | Friday, 19 September 2008 | Views [428]

On arrival in Madrid, one of the first things that struck us was the relaxed atmosphere considering it is a capital city. The weather was glorious the whole time we were there and we had a great time just leisurely wandering around the city. Our accommodation (possibly the cleanest hostel in the world – very good for me!) was right in the heart of the Latin quarter which is, for us, easily the best part of the city. We discovered a road called Baja, which was populated with loads of cosy looking tapas restaurants and bars, and this is where we discovered Camarillo! Camarillo serves the most incredible tapas – we just kept going back and ploughing through plate after plate of delectable treats. There is also a great bar that not only serves cocktails but also has wi-fi, rents out DVDs and plays sports channels on the TV (I do love it when I'm out having a nice drink with Matt and he's doing an impression of Mad eye Moody, one eye constantly swivelling round in an almost subconscious need to check the score of whatever sport happens to be on). On our last day Matt organised a trip to the Real Madrid stadium. For the record, this is the second football tour he's talked me into (Manchester United being the first) and, I was pretty impressed – again! As you can imagine there are plenty of photos of Matt on the bench, Matt with the trophies, Matt taking the place of someone in a life-size picture of the team...... For our final meal we hit Hard Rock Cafe....aside from the fact Matt had been begging to go since his beady little eyes spotted it on day one, we were also looking upon this as the last supper given we were off to Egypt next where you can't even eat a lettuce leaf without the risk of food poisoning. So we indulged in cocktails, burgers, chips, ice cream, thus finishing off a lovely few days in Madrid and the European stint of the Matt and Mercaders (can't believe I'm actually using that phrase now) world tour. The calm before the storm you might say...

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.