Existing Member?

The Aroma of Start

The Cave of Poetry

ITALY | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [265] | Scholarship Entry

When we decide to travel, it does not mean it must be outside our home country.

We overcome boundaries to visit gems that the Earth shields, to deepen our mind in different cultures… but also to compare!

However, if we do not travel around our country, we will not be able to take out the most from our journeys around the world.

That’s why I chose the ‘Cave of Poetry’ as my travel treasure. As Italian, I opted to describe a journey undertaken in my home country to stimulate aspiring travelers to discover the place where they were born so as to understand more from their future adventures.

My travel treasure is a cave on the Adriatic sea. It’s in Puglia, the region that shapes the heel of the ‘boot’. Definitely not hard to reach, by traveling for two hours from Bari to the South, the sand will be transforming into rocks… and you are almost there!

Defended from the waves by 10-meter-high rocks, the entrance of the cave does not face the sea but looks at the sky. Like a sculptor, the Adriatic eroded the rocks until creating a gem of the Nature, where the sea is pure and visitors can dive into it.

Here, dawn is not better than sunset and sunset is not better than dawn. It's just an endless flow of calm and love that do not give importance to day or night. Feel the thrill and liberation of a dive among rocks, and afterwards you can say Goodbye to the cave. Get on the car, drive to South for 2 minutes, and find a small traditional market. Buy a fresh beer and an home-made sandwich with local ingredients. The flavors of the market will match with the feelings from the cave .. and offer the perfect framework to the travel.

One more thing... Despite it is common to link the term “Poetry” to the emotions that this treasure can inspire such as a poet's words, the name of the cave refers to “posia”, which means “source of water” in ancient greek… But we do not have to stick with the real explanation!

In fact, we have the perception that we are in front of a travel treasure also due to the feelings that arise in that particular moment. So let’s listen to our heart… usually it’s him that guides us to travel… and it doesn’t mean that we have to catch a plane!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About lerrys


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.