Existing Member?

Kyrgyz traveler

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [186] | Scholarship Entry

- Are you gay? – this question woke my attention up. A local Filipina girl who was standing and talking to me past 10 minutes got my attention only this time.
- No… - I answered uncomfortably.
- Then why you don’t want to be accompanied with an entertainer?
The girl asked me again. I remembered how this girl calls herself as an entertainer.
- What do you mean by entertainer? - I asked her to clarify my confusion.
- Well... we do actually… we serve the customers. We do all the things what customers want from us. If you want to dance with me, I can dance with you. If you want me to entertain you all night, I can do it… here… in your hotel room…
Then, I understood what these “entertainers” have to do with the customers. I sat down on the chair on the side of the bar. I was observing people, who were dancing crazy, people who are socializing in a loud musing, and people all types of people who come to the paradise of parties. Borocay Island in the Philippines seems to be the most exciting place for a rest, combination of a night party with white sand beach.
- Yes, my parents are retired, and my brothers are young. I have to help my family.
I knew how life can be hard in the Philippines if you don’t have any educational background. I knew that finding a job was so hard. But, I did not know that in order to feed not only herself, but a whole family, a girl needs to work as an entertainer. She needs to sacrifice her life with an encounter who comes from not only the Philippines, but other countries. Because of food, daily necessaries, she needs to do a job whatever a customer wants. After meeting an “entertainer” as a man, I understood one thing in this life “no matter where you are from, it is hard to be a victim of poverty for a woman”.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About kyrgyztraveler


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.