Existing Member?

Bollywood Lights

I left my heart in sand and disco

INDIA | Thursday, 28 May 2015 | Views [188] | Scholarship Entry

When people hear you are going to India, their reactions are not enthusiastic. They scrunch their nose and say “That’s amazing but I’d never go there.”

It wasn’t until I witnessed the sardine packed, deafeningly loud, urine-filled streets that I really understood why.

The first night, I cried. The second night, I cried harder. I blame New Delhi. Travellers should start there because simply put, it can't get any worse. It took three days for me to see the beauty in India.

Having abandoned New Delhi like a rat on a sinking ship, I found myself in Jaipur at the base of Tiger Fort. Tuktuk’s insist it’s 4 kms to the top and at first glance, you’d agree. I assure you, it’s only 2 and worth all 52 switchbacks. My adorable strappy sandals were not the best decision but I trekked regardless. Sweat drenched my eyeballs and thick layers of dust caked my skin, mimicking the one cloaking the city below. The fiery hues of sunset and my tired feet indicated it was time.

As I passed goats, pigs, cows and more goats, I realized I had become immune to the surroundings that once haunted me and saw India in a new light. Literally, it was almost dark.

The rooftops looked like a fantasy game of Tetris. Each differing in colour, size and shape; all working in unison to create an idyllic picture. The universe felt my affections and like all the best love scenes, the sky burst into a plethora of colours, glittering with fireworks and igniting my soul. Paper lanterns danced without a destination as Bollywood beats played the soundtrack to our affair. I was sure this was India’s way of solidifying our new relationship. Every sense was enthralled as I admired my beloved, feeding off the energy of an entire city uplifted.

Alas, I knew this fling could never last, so I drank every ounce in like a thirsty desert dog. The last flashes struggled to hold on and the city began to sleep. Like a flash mob in a shopping mall, I was unsure of what I had witnessed but I was certain it was something I would never forget. It wasn’t until the next day I was told, I had stumbled upon “The Kite Festival”. One of the most celebrated occasions in the “Pink City” and was lucky enough to score the best seat in the house.

India is not a place for a vacation, it’s a journey to find yourself and understand that not everything is as it seems. I may never find that passion again, but I continue to keep an open mind and view the bigger picture, to understand that there is beauty in the breakdown.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About ktwils


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.