Existing Member?

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

My Scholarship entry - Giving back on the road

COSTA RICA | Wednesday, 28 March 2012 | Views [724] | Comments [6] | Scholarship Entry

The woman leads us down the slip thin alley, a welted concrete and barbed wire lined street hung with a firestorm of clothing set to dry, her feet beating an urgent rhythm against the dust. My sister hurries after her, moving with the same focus. The pockmarked sidewalk of San José has given way to dirt paths cluttered with thin-ribbed dogs and decaying houses, tin roofs rusted in a patchwork of scalding reds. My throat is parched with the tang of exhaust fumes, my nose stinging from the mercado we just left, where the wet iron stench of warm meat cannot be masked by a burst of bloodshot spices sold by the scoopful. We had been drifting through switchbacks sheathed in leather bags that grow like barnacles up the high walls, when my sister had stopped to inspect the wares of the woman. They had spoken only for a minute, until she had all but dragged us from the marketplace.

"What's going on?" I shout ahead, but nobody answers.

Soon we slow at a crude mortar shanty, chickens huddled on the roof, and follow the woman inside. I gag on my first breath. The reek is sharp with the taste of sour sheep innards and cheese. I see a man, dark skin stretched across the landscape of his bones, drum-tight and dry, his chest rising in a shallow metre as his hands shudder with pain. 

"Oh god," I whisper, finally understanding. "She thinks you're a doctor."

"I don't know how to say "I'm a med student" in Spanish," my sister says, already kneeling by his side, fingers at his wrists. Hands steady, she crushes painkillers, moistens his cracked lips with balm, helps him swallow water. I try the ambulance four times with no answer before I hail a taxi, assuring the sobbing woman I will pay. 

"I do not cry at the money," she says. "Look at his hands."

I look. They have stopped clawing; the drugs are working. My sister grins at me as she stokes her patient's hair. I smile back weakly, and try to hide my own trembling fingers as we wait for the taxi driver to help us carry him out.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

Comments

1

What a beautiful story! I could feel it, be there with you and empathise with all parties involved.

  bex1 Mar 28, 2012 4:52 AM

2

Thank you for commenting. Glad to hear you enjoyed reading it!

  krystalsutherland Mar 28, 2012 3:29 PM

3

That was so moving! I was brought to tears. An experience you will never forget.

  Sonia Apr 13, 2012 10:12 AM

4

Beautiful piece of writing Krystal- very emotive!

  Kerrin Apr 13, 2012 10:51 AM

5

Did not want the story to end, very sensitive story Krystal.

  Marilyn Apr 17, 2012 11:22 AM

6

Wow! Thank you so much to everyone who has read and commented!

  krystalsutherland Apr 17, 2012 5:55 PM

About krystalsutherland


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.