Existing Member?

page368

Unbound Grey Skies

HONG KONG | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [123] | Scholarship Entry

What can utterly be more insane than roaming around a city that is being battered by nearly torrential storm? Surely, anyone will consider such action to be downright irrational for the sheer reason that inclement weather condition can easily wipe the fun out of a trip if not lead to complete disaster. Ironically, the experience I had during my visit in Hong Kong is rather maddeningly spectacular despite the fact that it’s a product of pure ignorance.

Waking up to the sound of drizzle, my thoughts were clouded by euphoria that all I could think of was rushing to the train station, getting to Tsim Sha Tsui as quickly as possible and letting any premonition of trip’s tragic fate slip into the subconscious. In the midst of very pleasant ride, I found myself in the awkward position of being totally lost in translation after discovering that I had travel guide in language which I never speak i.e. Chinese. Later on, the challenge of finding the right direction got a notch higher as I began the search for my hostel along Nathan Avenue. Not only did the heavy rainfall started pouring, people were also fleeing the streets; basically leaving me no option but to rely on street signs. Although I was soaked wet, the stroll was like gliding across a red carpet and catching an imposing glimpse of the uptown. Crushed by fatigue, I ended up seating somewhere at the promenade, counting the astonishing line-up of towers, and simply admiring the breathtaking postcard image of the Victoria Harbour.

In spite of the possibility of going thru similar struggles, I decided to proceed at the Repulse Beach the following day. Smaller crowd than usual days, grey skies, pleasant weather, relaxing rhythm of water hitting the shores, and smooth sand, the place was the perfect spot to read the book “Tony Blair: Unbound.” As I turned the pages of the last chapter of biography, a sudden downpour came. At that moment, I realized that I was chasing the storm or looking for a venue that is awashed with sentimentality. There was couple of places that fitted the bill namely Lan Kwai Fong and The Peak. Together with a friend, we screamed random stuffs like crazy lunatics at the zenith of The Peak. Afterwards, we raided a couple of bars, had few drinks and drifted into slumber that evening at hidden sanctuary in the middle of Lan Kwai Fong which they call Sitting Area. Yet again, the sky eventually cried.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About kielkopf27


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.