Existing Member?

Discovering the Sahel

Bamako, The City on the Niger River

MALI | Monday, 25 May 2015 | Views [112] | Scholarship Entry

For the vast majority of tourists in the world, exotic holidays are synonymous with sun, beaches and coconut palms. I propose in this travel diary a way out of this picture by sharing with you my journey Bamako Mali's capital. I know, you tell me that it's not as sexy destination, but I'm sure you will change your mind after reading this story.
I would start by giving you general informations on Mali that I hope will spark your curiosity about this beautiful Sahelian country. Mali is a landlocked country of 14.5 million inhabitants in West Africa. It is built on the remains of the Mali empire, a Mandinka/Bambara empire in West Africa from c. 1230 to c. 1600 renowned for its wealth. During its golden age, there was a flourishing of mathematics, astronomy, literature, and art which profoundly influenced the culture of West Africa through the spread of its language, laws and customs along the lands along the Niger River. Mali's capital is Bamako whose name comes from the Bambara word meaning "crocodile river". it is while enjoying a three-month internship at The Economic and Statistical Observatory of Sub-Saharan Africa located in Bamako that I could appreciate the charms of this beautiful city.

What first caught my attention during the trip from the Bamako-Sénou International Airport to my hotel was the number of cattle crossing the road and zigzagging between drivers in a urban environment. The taxi driver explained that many families living in the city still own livestock and that every day, they lead them to the edge the city in search of pasture.

My first night was also full of surprises. In fact, I was about to sleep when after midnight, I began to hear loud noises in the distance resembling those of a beaten drum in an irregular frequency. I do not have time to wonder about the origin of this noise since due to travel fatigue, I sank into the arms of Morpheus. The next morning the receptionist at the motel told me that I had heard the noise from Bazin making workshops. Bazin is a fabric obtained from cotton damask hand dyed. With Its majestic stiffness, its explosive colors and artistic embroidery, Bazin is a fashion phenomenon in Mali and West Africa and is desired for all special events. Especially on Sunday which is wedding day in Bamako you will new brides with pretty Boubou.
Craftsmen via a painstaking process for hands work mainly at night since they use sunlight to dry the fabric. Here lies the secret of my nocturnal noises.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About karim-white


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mali

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.