Existing Member?

Visions of Blue

Waves of Azure

GREECE | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [176] | Scholarship Entry

Never have I ever seen water so clear and blue in my life than when me and my family ventured on our first holiday abroad. The destination: Zante, Greece. Zante is small yet charming island with beautiful sandy beaches and tall but still very explorable hills, the island itself is small enough to drive round in a day. So that's what we did. Diving head first into an adventure I have never forgotten. Each place we drove though had its own character and intriguing architecture, and everywhere you looked there were fields of olive trees! Parking up on the side of hill as the sunlight started to fade we looked out over a small beach and the light waves which crashed gently on the sand, beams of sunlight stretched up into the sky encompassing everything in a warm, soft glow. The beauty of the landscape was like nothing I'd ever seen before and that was only the beginning.

The next day we took a glass bottom boat out into the sea. A unique feature of Zante is that along its coastline there are an array of caves, but not any ordinary caves. As the water there is so clear it reflects up and around the inside of the caves, the ripples and waves causing the light to dance and swirl all around as you enter. Shades of blue I never knew flew around the walls. Zante is also the home of the many corals and sponges, the glass bottom of the boat allowed to gaze down at the brightly coloured and somewhat spongy undersea life.

Having never had an experience like this before it opened my eyes as to how beautiful the world can be and that its sitting out there waiting to be explored. So then I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't stop searching and looking and exploring this wide and interesting world. When you find that place you can't stop thinking about, don't just sit behind a screen staring at photos that other people have taken. Jump in and see the beauty that waits outside the doors. Dive right into the world!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About kake


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.