Existing Member?

Candice & Jayden's O.S Adventure

Italy

ITALY | Monday, 21 September 2009 | Views [967] | Comments [4]

Venice- The city of gondolas. Very romantic. We spent most of our days here wandering around and getting lost on purpose just to discover Venice and all the canals. We came across a few beauties as well- awesome pizza, a shop that sold wine by the litre in plastic bottles for 2 euros a litre and it was really good. However Venice eventually proved too expensive for our back packer budget, so for dinner it was pizza and our cheap wine sitting with our legs hanging into the canal and some gondola watching. The crowds and the heat got too much for us on our 2nd day and we escaped to the beach for some much needed chilling. Really beautiful but very crowded in the height of summer.


Next it was Florence the city of art. The statue of David was a must see and the Michaelangelo park. Although the highlight was sitting in the main square at night with all the beautiful buildings and statues illuminated and listening to the live music going on. Did this every night for a couple of hours after enjoying some awesome Italian meals. Ravioli, Pesto, Veal scalopini, and veal stew. Mmmm. Also took a day trip to Pisa, and yes it was leaning.


And maybe the highlight of Italy for us- Rome. Arrived at our hostel and decided to venture to the Spanish steps for a look. From there we caught a free 2 hr walking tour around Rome. We saw the Pathenon, Trevi fountain, churches, squares, the Pinnochio factory and a great insight into Rome. Had dinner right near the Trevi fountain that night- a beautiful view and I think my favourite sight of Rome. The next day we did a fantastic but exhausting tour of the Colesseum, Palentine hill and the Forum. Great tour but so hot in Rome in the summer, and the fact that our hostel had no air conditioning didn't help. But you cant expect much for 11 euros a night. On our 3rd day we just wandered around Rome, drank some great coffee, saw all the piazzas, ate some amazing food, sat in wine bars, walked along the river and just soaked up the energy of Rome. That night we enjoyed one too many happy hour drinks at our hostel, and the next day met the Vatican with a killer hangover. The Swiss guards did not look impressed. St Peters Bascillica, the Sistine chapel, the Vatican Museums, we saw and enjoyed all.


Then it was to Naples. We heard some dodgy stories about this city but still were shocked. Walked off the train to find the tourist info closed, men accosting us trying to sell us I phones from their pockets, rubbish littering the streets, men selling goods on the street that were obviously stolen from someone's car, house ect. We walked around for the day and this just confirmed our opinion of Naples. Dirty and Dodgy. Went to sample some pizza which is what Naples is famous for, met some locals who told me to watch my bag and not wear any jewellery. Hmmmm. However the pizza was great. You had to take a ticket to get a seat it was that popular and they only served, margherita, beer, soda or water. But sooo good. Went to Pompei the next day and climbed Mount Vesuvius. Awesome day.


Then to the picturesque Amalfi coast. After a pretty hairy bus ride on the windy cliff side road arrived at our hostel walked around and soaked up the views, beach and checked the place out. Met some great people in our hostel and had a good night at a local restaurant with local beer and more good food! The next day our new friend Jess the fitness instructor lead Jayden and I up the very top of Amalfi. Amongst the great views were steps, hills, donkeys carrying goods down the hill. A great morning. Chilled off with an afternoon at the beach and that night take away pizzas and beer with our friends from the hostel on the beach. Loved Amalfi. So beautiful the photos don't do it justice.


Off to Sicilly! Stayed a couple of nights in Taormina on a villa at the top of the mountain with you guessed it...great views.(www.thelemontree.eu) Walked down to the local town, experienced the food and checked out the sights. Hired a scooter which was great if not a little scary at first. This enabled us to drive up and down the coast and do some beach hopping. Great.


Last stop Valguanera! Relatives, the best hospitality, Pizzerias, way too many coffees, funny jokes, an insight into true Sicillian life, way too much food and mostly some great friends and times that I will never forget. Monica and Priscilla were some of the most beautiful girls I have ever met and I hope to meet with them again.


Three weeks in Italy was a life changing experience. Something I (and my thighs) will never forget. Great sights, food, and friends along the way. Next stop Greece!

Comments

1

sounds brilliant guys.....very good....not long now and we will be kicking back doing everything you mentioned above...just with many lady boys around...........beer, food, beach and also scooters....although bec came across some research and hiring a scooter in any of the places we a re going is basically the riskiest tourist things you can do when they work out stats on number of tourists accidents etc.....i reckon an ATV jungle tour for the day will be great though...

  simon berton Sep 21, 2009 2:37 PM

2

loved your blog on italy. we would have loved to do the trip with you. except naples. you write so well, ever thought of a career in english teaching. ha ha.
looking forward to hearing about greece.

  andrea loricchiella Sep 22, 2009 7:09 PM

3

Loved your story and pictures. Sorry but I did not like Rome to dirty but it was Holy Year and lots of Tourists.
also looking forward to hearing about greece.
love

  Pat Douglas Sep 23, 2009 11:25 AM

4

Hi tat tried to ring on your special day [birthday yesterday] about 15 times on all numbers all hours but no conections Happy birthday for yesterday , spose you got the text. Love dad have fun. love your stories.

  dad Oct 7, 2009 12:51 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.