Existing Member?

World_Tour

New Zealand

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 16 April 2008 | Views [801] | Comments [5]

Hey everyone. I know its taken me awhile to update. Im back in San Francisco and I've had to deal with taxes, bills, finding a job, etc. So, let me tell you about New Zealand. I wish had more time and money to be there. We were there for a week. Flew into Auckland on the north island andand stayed there one night. It was our first time in modern civilization in a long time. It was great. I had a nice hot shower, a super soft bed, and there was a wonderful breeze coming through my window over my bed. The next morning I wasn't feeling too hot. Not sure why. I think my body wasn't used to such a deep sleep and when I got out of bed it didn't like it. So then we explored Auckland a little bit and took a plane to Christchurch on the south island. Both Auckland and Christchurch are nice cities. I keep telling people New Zealand is the country that San Francisco looks like it should be a part of. Clean cities, environmentally friendly, laid back, and the people enjoy outdoorsy activities. After staying in Christchurch 1 or 2 nights we headed by bus down to Queenstown. It was a nice ride. About 6-8 hours ride but the scenery was beautiful. I've never seen so many sheep. Also the grass in New Zealand is greener than any grass I've seen. The water looks so pure too. When we arrived in Queenstown we stayed a couple nights. We werent sure what we wanted to do there so we looked for cheap and easy things. We were going to go luging down the mountain but it wasn't what we thought. I was thinking Cool Runnings when really it was like a bumper cars race track or something. Anyways we decided to go for a hike instead. We hiked for 3-4 hours up the mountains next to Queenstown. It was nice up there. There was one little forest patch that had little red mushrooms growing everywhere. It looked like Alice in Wonderland or something. When we reached the p[eak of the mountain we were climbing on the other side there was nothing but rolling hills. The first night we were there we played some pool at a bar. The second night I found my way over to the casino and played some poker. I bought in for $60 and left with over $760. That was pretty nice. It paid off the New Zealand part of the trip. I played some poker in San Francisco when I got back feeling all confident from New Zealand and I won $70. So that was cool. On our last day in New Zealand we were trying to find the park where they play frisbee golf but we took too long climbing mountains so we skipped that. We headed back to Christchurch and then to Auckland and then back home. Now that I've been home about 2 weeks. I barely feel like I ever left. Everything is so familiar here. I recommend going to all the places that I went. There was no place I did not like. Singapore isn't anything special but it is good for transitioning into Asia. Oh and I thoguht London sucked. Thats about it. But I must say. San Francisco holds its own against the places I've been. I'm glad I live here because I feel like everyday is a vacation in good 'ol SF.

Comments

1

Jeremy! Don't you know you are British and, therefore,
London cannot "suck"! Glad you are happiest in S.F. and
we are certainly that your trip was so inspiring and that you made it home safely. We look forward to seeing
you next week :)

  Mom Apr 16, 2008 8:20 AM

2

Man this is like the umpteenth time I've heard how awesome New Zealand is and how cool its people are and how it's a great analogue to SF. Guess the jury's still out on that one. Good to have you back man.

  jim Apr 17, 2008 1:49 AM

3

Welcome home Jeremy...big world, small world, happy world, sad world, beautiful world, inspiring world, how your world has changed...curiousity is a wonderful thing.....Love Kin

  Uncle Kin Apr 17, 2008 7:41 AM

4

I'm so happy you made it home safely and had such an amazing experience in your journey across the world. We can't wait to see you next week. Love you so much.

  Kerry (sister) Apr 18, 2008 9:40 PM

5

Jeremy, I have had a blast going around the world with you via your journal. Your mom forwarded them on to me. Welcome home!

  Barbara Fink Apr 24, 2008 10:46 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.