Existing Member?

World_Tour

Ireland

IRELAND | Friday, 30 November 2007 | Views [692] | Comments [4]

     Ok so I've been on my trip for a couple days now and Im alread addicted. I've met so many cool people and seen so many cool things. I feel like I've been traveling for way longer than a couple days. I landed in Dublin and couldn't enter my hostel room until 3pm and it was maybe 9 or 10 in the morning. So, I dropped off my bag at the hostel and explored Dublin. I saw the Dublin castle, read a book in the park, looked around in shops, and got to know the area. Dublin is a busy city and seems to be a melting pot of travelers. When I went back to the hostel I met my roommates who were from Australia, Germany, Chile, and France. The place I planned on meeting my travel buddy Alex was closed so I continued to do my own thing. Got some chinese food for 11 Euro which is like $20 USD. EXPENSIVE! I was going to get some Japanese food but the meals were over 20 Euro. Even Burger King is like 7 Euros. By this point I was pretty tired but I was planning on hitting up the pub attached to my hostel. The most famous bar in Dublin the Temple Bar. I went up to my room and showered and ended up staying in and talking to my roommates all night. which was cool. The guy on my lower bunk was from Milwaukee and he snored pretty loud but I eventually got to sleep.

     The next day me and Alex traveled by bus from Eastern Ireland to West Ireland. We landed in Galway and waited a couple hours for our shuttle that would take us to the ferry over to Aran Islands. We went to shops and ate some good food. I went to a 2 Euro store kind of like our $1 store and I bought a pimpin 2 Euro calculator watch. Im going to have to beat the women off with a stick carrying this thing around. Next we got on the shutle which was a little late and I needed to use the bathroom big time. Problem is we were late and couldnt stop and the trip took an hour. I have never been in such a helpless peeing predicament. The only way I survived was by taking a nap. I almost didnt have time to use the bathroom before getting on the ferry either. Ill probably find out I have some kind of bladder infection or something by next week. Anyways, on the ferry I feel nauseaous from all the this way and that way movement of the boat at night. Napping saved me yet again. Was a bad idea to buy the beer on the ferry cuz I only took a couple sips before passing out to avoid more sea sickness.

     When we arrive at Aran Islands its too dark to do anything but go to the hostel. In Ireland the sun doesnt go over your head it stays close to the horizon so it ends up getting dark at like 4pm. After dropping off our bags we go to the only restaurant on the island and get another expensive meal and I wasnt all that impressed with the food. If I sound like a food snob its because Im spoiled by San Francisco. Still the best food in the world on my list. Though this morning I had a very good Full Irish Breakfast with eggs, beans, toast, sausage, ham, mushrooms, hashbrown and tomatoes. It was delicious. That night we watched part of a movie in the common room of the hostel and met a guy who lives at the base of a large mountain in the Swiss Alps and he invited us to stay in his home. We ended up hiking all day through Aran Islands the next day. He showed us many interesting things online about Switzerland. Our hike through the Aran Islands took 2 and a half hours one way and 2 and hlaf back. It was awesome! I've seen more rainbows than Ive seen ever in my life. They are constantly coming and going. I saw many cows, horses, donkeys, dogs, goats, and chickens. The landscape is crazy. There are rock walls all the way across the island. I cant even describe it. You can get a jist in my pictures. At the furthest point of our journey we reached the high clifffs that you see in my pictures. It was beautiful. We met a couple German girls that told us of some good hostels in Galway but we ended up taking a bus back to Dublin that night and staying at a nice hostel called Jacobs Inn. Now were are in the internet cafe researching our next moves. We plan on going to Amsterdam next then Berlin and on to Poland for a party at a friends house that just moved there. We plan on zig zagging through Europe a little until we end up in Croatia and then we will o to Cairo, Mt. Kilamunjaro, the up to Dehli and Kathmandu then over to Asia. Im looking forward to snowboarding in the swiss alps and in Eastern Europe. I already have so many pictures and its only been a couple days. This trip is going to be amazing.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

I see those castles and those green hills and the rocks and cliffs and such and I imagine a braveheart flute start up. At sunset. Freedom! Pretty cool man.

  jim Nov 30, 2007 4:08 AM

2

Hells yeah foo! SF food is the shiznit! Smoke a big fattie for me in Amsterdam.. Actually, make that two big fatties! Also take some pics in the smoke shop if you can so I can drool all over myself. Mmmm brownies..

-ujac

  Ujac aka uriah the messiah Nov 30, 2007 5:39 AM

3

I feel like I'm dreaming when I read about your travels.
Hope you still want to come home one day............Miss you terribly but this is an experience of a lifetime and I am so, so happy that you
are able to experience it. Better get out of Europe before those Euros "break" you.
Gotta get going and see those photos! You know how much
we love you and miss you.

  Moya Nov 30, 2007 7:43 AM

4

Wow! I am totally excited to be reading about all that you're seeing and doing. Traveling is truly the "spice of life" and you're off on an AMAZING adventure! Just keep in mind that it's the people and their stories that will make your life's journey so delightful! We're off on a Caribbean adventure to see some Mayan ruins in the Yucatan and Belize....I'll read your blog and write more when we get back home! Spend and travel while you're young! Hugs, Betsy

  Betsy Cave Nov 30, 2007 3:38 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.