Existing Member?

Traversing the Unexpected

The Journey You Don't Expect

NETHERLANDS | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [319] | Scholarship Entry

The sun set over the canals of Amsterdam, the water placid, save for the paddling of a sole swan. The last light of the day played over the water, casting a breathtaking array of reds, oranges, and purples across its surface. I leaned on the canal's railing, absentmindedly nibbling on a pastry from earlier in the day and I reflected on my two-day experience in this beautiful city.
As a college student in my early twenties I had heard about the nightlife in Amsterdam most: the coffee shops, the clubs, the bars. When my parents told me we were taking a trip to Spain I knew I needed to split off and see this city, the Mecca of counterculture students for decades.
Once I arrived, however, I found that I was not content to sit around, drinking and smoking. I was captivated by the spires of centuries old churches, the intricate, but ordered, layout of the canals and by the rows of brightly colored buildings that lined them. It was a buffet of sorts for an amateur photographer.
I took a closer look at the city then, and what I found was far more interesting to me than the side represented commonly in popular American culture. The streets were filled with vendors and stands, not to mention all the brick and mortar storefronts. Having a bit of a "foodie" streak I was instantly drawn to the ubiquitous pastry and cheese shops. I had planned to visit a number of restaurants during my stay, but I didn't set foot in one. I was so enamored with the street food that I couldn't be troubled to actually sit down at a table and miss precious minutes of exploring the city.
It wasn't either of these that truly hooked me about Amsterdam in the end. It was how comfortable of a city it is to be a stranger in. It was the first place outside of my home city with which I felt utterly familiar. People on the sidewalk, both Dutch and foreign, would give me a friendly nod and smile as we passed. Neighbors would gossip from windows and stoops in all different languages. I followed no set path through the city, knowing that no matter where I would stray there would be another beautiful historical building or a museum.
I filled two days with my ramblings. Each day I woke up and walked for every hour I could, not willing to miss a single moment of my adventure.
So it was as I looked out over the calm waters of the canals I realized, with a wistful smile on my face, that it is not always the journey you plan out that you end up taking.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About icengle90


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.