Existing Member?

thelongandwindingblog

news report (rose)

EGYPT | Friday, 28 January 2011 | Views [1182]

I read the news today, oh boy. It seems the recent Tunisian troubles are spreading. For two days, the people here in Egypt have showed their anger at the rising food prices, high unemployment and governmental corruption at protests on the streets of cities throughout the country. Thankfully until now there has been no trouble in the Dahab bubble but it's close enough for discomfort; two protestors were killed the day before yesterday, just over the other side of the peninsula in Suez.

The same day, we celebrated Graeme and Valesca's wedding at the stunning Castle Zaman, nestled into the mountainside and overlooking the sea. The fairytale ceremony, banquet and beach party reception passed with dreamlike perfection, and the international crowd - Brits and Germans, Egyptians and Bedouins, and others from Serbia, Croatia, France, Russia - all turned out to wish 'Big G and Little V' a happy and prosperous life together. After such a brief friendship, we felt honoured to be there and to share in their love.

It was the culmination of a busy week: our neighbours Jay and Marsha had a little boy (welcome to the world little Lewis) and the next night a lightening storm raged over town, causing our water pump plug to melt/explode, and rain to gush in through the window of our spare room. H and I stood at the door for an hour, marvelling at the endless buckets tipping from the sky and trying to capture the lightening forks on camera. The next few days I turned into a kitchen queen baking banana bread and carrot cake like there was no tomorrow, and the sun returned with a welcome vengeance; I spent glorious afternoons taking a break from work, sunbathing and smoking shisha on the roof of El Salam yoga camp with Katie.

So apart from the freak rain storm and despite the unrest elsewhere in the country, life in Dahab for now remains blissful. But still I'm feeling frightened, and unsettled. Facebook has been closed down as of a couple of hours ago: may seem a small thing but it's added to my sense of being cut off and vulnerable. As rumours and leaks abound about similar troubles in other countries in this area, we are keeping a very close eye on the news, and preparing ourselves with some Plan Bs in case danger hits where we are or where we are going. We'll take each day as it comes and enjoy the happy moments - and keep eyes and ears wide open.

More photos etc at www.thelongandwinding.co.uk

About huw-and-rose


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.