Existing Member?

Wrapped Up In Tartan

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 7 March 2011 | Views [160] | Scholarship Entry

I am of Scottish heritage. I have the fiery temper, pale skin and fiercely loyal heart of a Scot. It was inevitable that I would visit Scotland at some point in my life.
I made the decision to go backpacking alone when I was 23, armed only with a change of clothes, some cash and a camera.
My journey began in London, taking the Flying Scotsman to Edinburgh. I was filled with longing and trepidation, but that could have been the large espresso at Kings Cross.
As the train took me closer and closer to border country, I noticed the landscape changes dramatically; from gently rolling hills to the rugged and harsh cliffs over the sea. Berwick is the last stop before crossing the border and has changed hands over 13 times, from English to Scottish and back again. Overlooking Berwick, one can imagine strapping, red headed border reivers plundering the town.
Arriving in Edinburgh is a delight and surprise and her beauty is inescapable. The city is filled with classic architecture and Georgian influence is evident. Edinburgh is dominated by the Castle which sits on the edge of an extinct volcano and offers magnificent views from its summit. Departing Edinburgh was a bittersweet experience; I was sad to leave this vibrant city but eager to experience more off what Scotland had to offer and my next stop was Stirling.
As anyone who has seen Braveheart will know, Stirling’s claims to fame are the castle and the Battle of Stirling Bridge on which William Wallace defeated the English. The original bridge is long gone but the location still remains an important part of Stirling’s history. There is a sense that Wallace is still alive in the hearts of the people who live here.
I took the train up to Perth, which is a pretty county town that sits on the river Tay. Perth derives its importance from Scone Palace, which is 10 minutes away. Scone was built in 1580 and houses the important Stone of Scone, an integral part of a Scottish king’s coronation.
I headed north to Inverness which is the capital of the highlands and is located on the River Ness. Inverness was the major transportation hub of the highlands and is often overlooked by travelers in a hurry to get to infamous Loch.
Loch Ness is deep, narrow and bitterly cold and has been extensively explored for Nessie. Sitting on the bank is the ruins of Urquhart Castle, which was blown up in the late 1600s to prevent to Jacobites from using the castle.
My last day in the highlands was a short train journey through the highlands to Kyle of Lochalsh, the gateway to Isle of Skye. The train ride alone is spectacular and the vistas simply breathtaking.
Scotland’s history and beauty will cling to you as crassly as a deep fried mars bar, warm you like the finest tartan and put a fire your belly like a dram of single malt whisky.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About highlandgirl


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.