Existing Member?

JOURNEY LOG

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - FINDING EYES IN MIND AND HEART TO SEE

INDONESIA | Wednesday, 3 April 2013 | Views [259] | Scholarship Entry

This is a story when I visited Bali last year. Bali is one of the most beautiful place in Indonesia. Bali culture is very unique and very different from other areas in Indonesia. If you visited Bali you will see almost in every house there has a temple as a place for praying. Hindhu is major religion there. There, I met with a humble person named Wayan. He was my tourist guide. In the first day I enjoyed sunrise at Kuta beach. I sunbathed there until mid day. I had lunch at local restaurant near the Kuta beach. I decided to buy Kuwut Ice. It is one of typical drink from Bali made from lemon water, sugar and coconut shavings. I reserved Betutu chicken for my lunch. It is made from baked chicken with coconut milk spicy flavor. After lunch, I continued the trip to Sukawati market. It is traditional market of typical souvenir of Bali. I bought bed cover with Bali typical motif. That is the motif of frangipangi flower. When I was on my out to the parking lot. I almost stepped on a beautiful offering. Wayan told me the name is Canangsari. A small offering of flowers and money placed on a tiny square tray woven out of coconut leaf. Canang refers to the tray, while sari refers to the essence of the offering. Canang sari may be found all over the island, in small house shrines. Canang sari are offered every morning by devout Balinese to show gratitude to the creator (Sang Hyang Widi Wasa). Canang sari requires a bit of effort to create, which adds meaning to the sacrifice being made. The following day we departed from Puri Indah hotel Batu Bulan to Tenganan Village. This village had very unique local community life pattern which is one example of Bali Aga Village cultures (Hindu Prehistoric). On the way there Wayan told me about Concept for Life in Bali through Hindu Religion Concept, which is called Tri Hita Karana (three of the harmony, balance to create the peaceful and happiness). Tri Hita Karana word is come from Sansekerta Language that has meaning to keep the harmony and balance between human to God, human-to-human and human to environment. The encounter with Wayan was a priceless moment to me in my life because through his story about the concepts of Canangsari and Tri Hita Karana makes me more honour my life. He made me aware that life is a blessing from God that we need to gratitute. As a human we also have to maintain nature that has God give to us all and we have to cherish each other. the three of them need to be done to make the peace stay longer.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About gripandtrip


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.