Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Safely in Cairns

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 6 January 2020 | Views [425]

Queensland firefighters heading out to Victoria

Queensland firefighters heading out to Victoria

THE BRISBANE AIRPORT SEEMED FILLED WITH Queensland Fire and Rescue troops on their way to Victoria where the bushfires are out of control, just like Victoria's firefighters recently helped with Queensland's blazes.  The seasonal “Wet” is about due in Queensland so Brisbane should be safe while they are away.  We were heading in the other direction, to Cairns 1500 kilometers north.  Flying seemed more sensible than driving considering the exorbitant rental one-way charges, petrol prices and lodging along the way. 

bb

    Little Women all grown up

Cairns New Chalon Motel doesn’t quite compare with its on-line photos, but at $50 a night it’s hard to complain.  The room is functional with a fridge and microwave, the wifi is pretty good and the air-con works well.  We’re only a few kilometers from the Botanic Garden, the Esplanade and Stockland Mall with both Coles and Woolworth, Aussie grocery chains.  We took a break from today’s heat at the cinema to see Little Women.  Although I know who Louisa May Alcott is — even visited the family home in Concord — I somehow never read the book.  My loss.  And Emma Watson is a doll — Hermione is all grown-up.

bb

               Far Eastern Curlew

We trooped up to the Atherton Tablelands yesterday where Connie’s coveted pink-eared duck had been seen as Hastie Swamp.  Despite the lack of water, it’s a great birding spot.  Sadly, my camera battery was flat dead by the time Mr. Duck appeared so no photo.  But Connie got a good look at number 5500!  And we’ll be back with extra batteries.

bb

          Australian Pelican

The Esplanade was hopping this morning with birds galore and buff Aussies of both genders.  We added both of our target birds, Varied and Brown-backed Honey-eaters, and got interesting photos of Australian pelicans and a Far Eastern Curlew.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.