Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Fiji

FIJI | Saturday, 2 November 2019 | Views [208]

Colorful Fiji money

Colorful Fiji money

TO REALLY ENJOY FIJI YOU HAVE TO STAY AT one of the resorts.  And spend a lot of colorful money.  Or maybe Savusavu is where it’s all happening.  We’ll never know.  After the ‘missing day’ and a day at sea we hooked up with Bruce and Linell yesterday in our unplanned stop in Suva, pretty much reprising Pago Pago.  Sir John, our taxi driver, took us to Colo-i-suva Resort on the way to the Forest Park to look for parrots but even so we were there long before the ship’s buses arrived.  

bb

          Vanikoro Flycatcher

                         bb

                                   Cardinal Myzomelo

                                              https://s3.amazonaws.com/aphs.worldnomads.com/graynomadsusa/58093/ORAGNEBRMYZS_medium.jpg

                                                    Orange-breasted Myzomelo

The birding was so-so, so we returned to the Resort where the birding was better and had the added benefit of cold beer.  When Connie checked my photos against her list back on the ship, she discovered —thanks to the marvels of digital photography — that we had seen ten new species, one of our better days.

b

                    Pacific Imperial Pigeon

ISLAND PARADISE was the phrase most heard today.  And if you are visiting Dravuni’s  two miles of coconut palms and sand for, say, four hours you you might be right.  

bb          bb

  One man's paradise...                           is another's coconut

Any longer, however, and you would notice that the island’s 199 residents—we were told the population was 200 but there was a funeral today—don’t have electricity or running water.  We didn’t see any grocery stores or even a market.  There are no cars or motorbikes—no roads either.  The kids even have to attend school!  

bb

     And you have to learn your ABCs

Paradise, it seems, is in the eye of the beholder

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.