Existing Member?

Travel blog I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental and I eat French toast (Beastie Boys) | | | Photos available at www.istockphoto.com/georgeclerk

Mongolia

MONGOLIA | Friday, 5 October 2007 | Views [5713] | Comments [2]

We arrived early doors in what is officially the coldest capital city in the world, Ulaanbaatar, and were met at the station by what was - after plenty dour Russian receptions along the way - a very welcome warm smile from our lovely Mongolian guide, who said we could call her Anna... I think our chances of ever pronouncing her name right were slim.

The man himself

Statue of one of the Mongolian nation's founders: Clearly not impressed by this building

We went for breakfast, changed some money (me changing from Roubles to Mongolian Togrog and trying to get my head around another bewildering exchange rate - my evil maths teacher at school was right, I really should have realised that despite calculators etc, you can't beat good old mental arithmetic) then headed to the Gandan (Gandantegchinlen Khiid = 'The Great Place of Complete Joy') monastery, which was indeed great - lots of holy buildings with different functions, some with young monks chanting, and some where they were meant to be working to learn texts, but were mostly joking around having fun.

But sadly at the busy entrance to the main temple, which houses a huge gilded Buddha God statue it was difficult to be reflective since (as we'd been warned may be the case) pickpockets were clearly operating around us with lots of carefully subtle scanning of our pockets while we weren't looking, and the occasional 'accidental' grab at peoples' pockets.

After that we (now about a 12 strong group having joined others who had stopped in different places) drove out of the city and were soon on dusty tarmac, and then after an hour or so onto sandy tracks before arriving at the Elstei ger camp.

The camp was great, with friendly and fun Mongolian staff, but although we were staying in gers, I can't pretend that we were living on the steppe in the way that the nomads do. We had 4 beds with mattresses to each wood fuelled stove equipped ger, and running water with showers and flushing loos in a communal block which also had a big dining area.

That evening Anna introduced us to some games involving the anklebones of sheep. About half the size of a cork, they can be used a bit like dice as they'll always land on one of four sides, representing (as the top part of the bone resembles them) horses, goats, sheep or camels. We played a game involving flicking the same animal type into each other to win points with maybe sixty anklebones.

Down it comes

...and off it goes (there were two bundles this size for the whole ger)

The next day Anna had lots of Mongolian activities lined up, including archery, dismantling a ger, wrestling and horse riding, and we visited a traditional Nomad family (who were now staying put near the camp). There we tried traditional nomad's food, most of them based on mare's milk and straight off a large central stove. Some were very nice, others with salt and fat weren't so hot. The fermented mare's milk (apparently 2% abv) wasn't bad at all.

Having met Dave, a Welsh guy coming the other way, in Irkutsk, who had battle scars from an attempt at mongolian wrestling, I decided that I wasn't man enough to face the challenge, but more than half of the guys were willing to have a go. BTW, the interesting outfit is like that because women used to enter (and sometimes win) wrestling competitions, so the outfit was changed long ago to leave no doubt re. the gender of competitors.

As a man (just), I did get to participate in the eagle dance ceremony that happens before and after each round. The guys above fought bravely, but were no match for the Mongolians, who wrestled around for a bit, then lifted up the challengers, spun them around, and dumped them
on the ground. For the final, we saw how it's done properly.

Once our horses had been caught and rounded up, we were told a few basics - mainly not to stroke or pet them at all, and that the way to make them go was to say 'CHO' quickly. The youngest amongst us, Steve decided to go riding despite being badly allergic to horses, and risked his horse thinking that every 'atischoo' from his frequent sneezes was a command to speed up!

Gengis Khan had his men trained to ride at speed, while firing arrows backwards at enemies - that was my attempt to do the same, but riding at (low) speed and with a camera!

But it wasn't a problem - apart from a few surprising occasions, the horses basically did what they wanted and ignored our attempts to tell them what to do. Keiran, on his yellow horse (Gengis Khan always rode on a yellow horse, so they're considered the best in Mongolia) was the only one of us who was in control, and cruised around and ahead of us as our horses plodded along stubbornly. But there was some argy-bargy, my horse would not let the majority of the others past us, and frequently chomped at the necks or backsides of other horses that he didn't like.

That night the Mongolian vodka flowed maybe a bit too easily, some very sore heads in the morning when we had to reluctantly head back into the smog of UB, ready to catch our final Trans-Mongolian train, destination Beijing.

This train only goes weekly, so was much more full of tourists than the others, with people and groups I'd met on earlier parts of the journey from Moscow converging to cross the Gobi Desert and into China. As above, the Mongolian restaurant car on this last train was by far the most fancy, but the Samovars weren't anything special...

At some points so much dusty sand made it into the train that we could see it like a fog in our compartment, and I felt the occasional sandy crunch between my teeth, but eventually the clouds of sand cleared before sunset, and we went on to Zamyn-Uud, the last Mongolian stop, and our cue to fill in more Mongolian forms and a bunch of Chinese forms too.

Then we rolled over the border past armed guards, before arriving at Erlian to hand over our passports and forms, then went backwards and shunted around for an hour while the carriages were disconnected one by one and moved into a huge warehouse.

This was where the carriages had to be jacked up individually (with us all still on board) to have the wheels / bogies changed to allow for the slightly narrower guage Chinese tracks. An incredible logistics operation, which didn't need many engineers, but it took several hours before the carriages were re-connected and we chuntered back to Erlian to go through Chinese customs.

So getting to bed between 1 and 2am, we slept most of the way through Inner Mongolia, and woke up to dramatic scenery as the train rumbled along steep valleys in Heibei province. Eventually we arrived at the end of the Trans-Mongolian line in Beijing, wondering if the low visibility which we'd had since about 10am was due to low cloud, or the smog.

A good find by Ewan:

Tags: On the Rails

Comments

1

Yeah, I'm jealous.

  Jessamyn Oct 14, 2007 3:58 AM

2

I'm SO enjoying reading your blog. It's absolutely brilliant. Wonderful photos and very amusing. Thank goodness for your SOH! Good luck with the rest of the trip and LOL.

  Lavinia Oct 14, 2007 7:16 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Mongolia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.