Existing Member?

design, train, travel!

My Scholarship entry - Giving back on the road

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [227] | Scholarship Entry

Imagine that you grew up in post-Soviet country. About Iron Curtain you heard only in holywood films and read in historical books, but you feel that your mind and ability to travel are very limited. And a question “Why not hitchhike in Europe with just 300$?” sounds crazy. Crazy, but in touch.
So after few months of googling you on the road. You already crossed several borders, met different people. Sometimes such meetings mean adventures. After 12-hour exploring city, with guy from South America you met sunrise in Amsterdam. One night in Germany you walked 10 km to the airport together with Spanish student. His wheelchair was faster than your feet, the only problem were rises.
You hithchhiked a taxi, a truck, even a bus. During the flight to France you understood why it’s important to know some mantras from accidental death, especially if you fly with Ryanair. Patience is necessary when it looks like only every 200th driver in Marseilles is ready to take you.
Finally you arrive to place where seashore like from movies, and shops not cheap. To Cannes. Something happens with your visa card, online banking shows 0€ instead of expected 90. So You in Cannes with 1€ in a pocket and that’s your last money. You in 800 km from friends and 2k+ km from home…
In such situations old joke “Still better then in office”, feeling “dude, it’s like a film”, and belief that “Universe is friendly and always give what you really need” can help much more then panic.
Stereotypes is the last thing that you need during travel. Otherwise how to explain that Italian drivers (which I heard “hate” hitchhikers) helped me to pass 600 km of road in one day, feed several times, and even gave some money once not taking my objections.
When I came home, I realize that people gifted to me the same 90€?. And shared their own experience which is unique. The most cool things you get for free. Be positive is important and the Universe is always giving back. Sometimes with pct!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About gamaleiev


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.