Existing Member?

On the Mountain Top.n

A day at Awhum Monastery

NIGERIA | Sunday, 24 May 2015 | Views [209] | Scholarship Entry

The mountain was about 300meters away from our bus. We unconsciously walked in groups up the mountain; some were five, others four and my group seven. The road was stony and at some points, really sloppy. The Catholics prayed beside the road. Some climbed the mountain on their knees and really hurt. We could also see the irregular patches of people praying in the bush and some individual prayer warriors sparsely positioned. We observed them as we discussed each group we came across and some basic Catholic traditions.
The mountain top was colder but with good visibility. The almost flat top was friendly and people were strategically positioned. I felt as though I was walking on a normal ground level. All the sloppy anticipations I nurtured as we climbed disappeared. We decided to go pass the large crucifix at the center for a possible strategic position at the edge. From the edge, I could see the waist of the mountain and the top of a few other mountains. The breeze here was stronger but directional and friendly. The trees below seemed like padded pieces of foam from a newly purchased pillow. It was as if the tree tops would bounce me up if I jumped. Everywhere was calm; I then realized no one has spoken since we arrived at the mountain top. It was like an evil enchantment that I enjoyed. Everyone was taken by the panoramic view that no one observed the other. I then felt like talking to someone across the other mountain tops, I SHOUTED DEEPLY WITH MY EYES CLOSED till everyone came out of himself and held me. We took pictures, mounted our totem flags and set-off to the waterfall.
Retrospectively, I should not have broken the hours of enchantment and should have talked to at least, one of the denizens. I would have felt closer to nature and would have understood their philosophy better. My trip to Awhum Monastery is a trip I must make again.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About emmanocorp


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nigeria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.