Existing Member?

The Long Journey Home Mountains, rivers and lakes. Sun, sea and sand. Rain, ferns and Kiwis. Snow, ice and glaciers. Tramp, trail and road run. Adventure....

Bariloche, Northern Patagonia

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 17 March 2015 | Views [420]

We arrived around lunchtime so once we had checked in we went for lunch, a chicken schitzel napolitana, and then walked around the town together.  We saw the civic square, the cathedral and the many chocolate shops.  We went to the best one - Rapanui, for hot chocolate.  Federico explained to us about the Argentinian custom to drink mate. A very strong tea that is made in a specific way with a metal straw and a special cup. They buy the herbs in what looks like a bag of flour. It is very sociable and they usually carry it around to drink with people with a thermos of hot water.  We tried some tht he made but none of us were very keen!

The next day I choose to go on a day hike to Mt Tronador. It was a two hour bus ride on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere to Pampa Linda. It had a hostel there so seemed like a good base for people hiking around there. The walk was 5 hours and took us first to the black glacier - covered in rocks etc... with a lake and icebergs.  Not disimilar from the tasman glacier.  We then walked up the valley to a waterfall. On the way back the bus got a flat tyre so Claudia, Anna and I were late back for dinner. We were lucky not to have an accident as we could hear it was bad for a while before they actually stopped and looked at it.

Dinner was in El boliche de alberto - this was a fantastic steak, grilled chicken, served with chimichurri, salad and fries.  Also the provoleta - provolone cheese grilled on the bbq with chilli and oregano.

The next day we took the bus across the border in to Chile, a 6 and a half hour ride to Puerta Varas. We crossed the border at cardenal samore. There was a sniffer dog which had to go along a line of everyones luggage and then a line of all the handbags.  Luckily he didnt find anything!

We passed through the town of Osorno and had a great view of the osorno volcano. We checked in to Park inn and had a quick walk around the town to get orientated. Its on a big lake which looks across to two volcanoes. 

We then went for dinner at a fish restaurant - salmon, vegetables (!) and potatoes.  We then went for a drink before returning to the hotel.

Tags: glacier, hiking, lake, mountains, on the road, volcano, waterfall

 

About e_c_whittome


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.