Existing Member?

WalkWithDonna

Redondela to Pontevedra, Spain

SPAIN | Tuesday, 13 June 2017 | Views [524]

We left "crabby castle" at seven this moring. Since we weren't quite sure if the hosts had actually scheduled us a taxi, we started walking back toward town and the Camino trail about 6:45. Our cab did meet us en route, so we were off to a good start on our journey to Pontevedra.

The miles today were punctuated with flowers, rivers, ancient stone structures, some wildlife and several intersting pilgrims. 

Flower Porch

Flower Porch Pontesampaio

Lots of porches and boundary walls are adorned with beautiful flowers in Pontesampaio, Spain.

Calle Lilly

Pink Calle Lillies Pontesampaio Spain.

We crossed another of the many rivers along the way outside Pontesampaio and noticed this old fleet of wooden boats down below the bridge.

Old wooden boats

The highlight for today was a conversation with Jose Luis. He stopped us walking through Arcade and told us that he remembered us from the French Camino route last year. Not kidding! He is hiking the Portugal Coastal route with friends this year and was surprised to see us again. More than 200,000 pilgrims hike or bike the Camino every year, so I guess he has an amazing memory! After he initiated the conversation, Jeff remembered him too. I must have been sleep walking that day...

Us with our friend from the French Camino 2016 Jose Luis

Us with our friend from the French Camino in 2016, Jose Luis

After Jose Luis and his pals picked up their pace, leaving us to meander we passed this Camino memorial made of a fishing net with hundreds of seashells tethered to it. These scallop shells are a common symbol of the Camino.

Seashell Memorial 

On the top of the hill outside Pontesampaio we ran into this entrepreneur Manuel who had establised a portable giftshop and informal tourist information center. He gave us lots of advice about "alternate" routes that he said were more scenic and shorter! We dutifully looked at his maps, nodded frequently, bought a keychain and took off on the "officlal" route down the hill.

Manuel Giftshop

After that long hike up and down the hills north of Pontesampaio and our shopping experience with Manuel, we stopped for a quick cafe con leche at Manual's (no relation to the the giftshop mogul from the top of the hill.) We see small makeshift cafes like this frequently along the way. Manual was having a great time with this lively bunch of pilgrims

Manual's Cafe

As we walked through the city of Pontevedra, our destination for today, the Os Alegres Band was playing, singing and dancing in the square in front of the Santuario de Peregrina. Great music, very lively!

Os Alegres Band Pontevedra

There are many, many, many historic and ornate Catholic churches in Pontevedra. 

Santuario de Peregrina Pontevedra Spain

Santuario de Peregrina Pontevedra Spain

Inside the Convento de San Francisco Pontevedra Spain

Inside the Convento de San Francisco Pontevedra Spain

Convento de San Francisco Pontevedra Spain

 

Another shrine inside the Convento de San Francisco

 

School Kids Pontevedra

Grade school kids playing a ball game in the square in Pontevedra

After all the history and beauty in Pontevedra we came upon this scene that we thought was too funny! Evidently someone the previous night enjoyed a six pack on the curb of the Police Station downtown.

JGH at Police Station w beer cans Pontevedra 

This laugh was a great way to end our hike for today. We stayed at another beautiful and historic hotel the Parador Casa Del Baron Pontevedra.

Parador Hotel Pontevedra Spain

Cool place, the former home of the Counts of Maceda! Check it out: http://www.parador.es/en/paradores/parador-de-pontevedra

 

About donna_jeff

DMS on rock Villares de Orbigo

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.