Existing Member?

RTW Soon undergoing Round The World Tour: Central & South America, Oceania, South East Asia, China, Nepal & India.

Uruguay

URUGUAY | Wednesday, 21 May 2008 | Views [511]

Montevideo Center

Montevideo Center

Uruguay, most of the westeners heard of it for its beaches of Punta Del Este. My first stop was Montevideo after a short flight from Buenos Aires. It definitly looks much quieter than Buenos Aires, sitting on the other side of the Rio Del Plata.

I stayed one night in the city center, for the NYE, and that was definitly the worst idea I had. All the shops had closed even before I had time to get into town, and nonody could be found in the streets. Damm, everyone is on the beach at Mar Del plata in Argentina, Punta Del Este in Uruguay of in Rio in Brasil, but I am the only one here. Well, the party was short as never started, found the only restaurant open, in which the waiters showed no interest for the customers. I was quickly back to the hotel, opened the TV and watched few minutes whats happening in Copacabana Beach in Rio, O Well!! Next year, haha.

As Montevideo was as dead as the last night, I jumped in the first coach heading to Colonia. It is a small village very well preserved, 2 hours from Montevideo, West. A few bars were open for business, including one very coloured, where food was cooked in front of you in the middle of the tables. That was probably the highlight of the day, as nothing else was available to do, a long walk (30mn) and I was back to the almost abandoned station.

Last day in Uruguay I couldn't not go to Punta Del Este, famous for its beaches. It is 1 hours drive from Montevideo (east). The arrival made me think it is still an authentic beach resort, but the more the bus was driving towards the center, the more skycraper could be seen. Ok, so this is full of cement, some sand, lots of money and finally nothing very exiting. Legend, there is no more.

But in the next days I will test another legend, Rio de Janeiro, lets go.

 

About distenz

Me en El Caminito, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Uruguay

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.