Existing Member?

Retired and Loving It

Two very excited retirees enjoying our first taste of an Upper Class Flight

USA | Saturday, 28 April 2012 | Views [950]

THE DAY BEFORE D DAY [DEPARTURE DAY]

We received an email to inform us that that internal return flight from Denver to Los Angeles had been cancelled as the airline had merged with another and amended their flight schedules.  Diana spent an hour on a prime time number attempting to get it sorted to our satisfaction; which wasn’t easy but eventually managed and we think the ‘phone call potentially cost more than the flight!

TWO VERY EXCITED RETIREES ENJOYING OUR FIRST TASTE OF AN UPPER CLASS FLIGHT

This is what happened ………..

We received an email from the Upper Class Wing of Virgin Atlantic in Terminal 3 at Heathrow inviting us to join them for check in the next day which of course we accepted with great excitement and alacrity.

On flight day our driver swept us to a timed arrival up a private ramp to be met and greeted by an extremely welcoming Virgin [Airlines!] representative.  We were amazed that we didn’t have to touch the luggage from leaving the hotel until we collected it when it arrived at LA Airport.

We glided effortlessly through a private channel, had our cabin luggage and selves checked, away from the crowds, and were directed to the Virgin Upper Class Clubhouse which took our breath away - a haven of relaxation and pampering appeared before us;  Our greeter introduced us to the various aspects, Spa, shoe shine, pool table, buffet, fully catered breakfast, hanging chairs, observation gallery, outside garden with seating, F1 on 9 screen size big screen with spooled pictured news on several  separate side screens [everything complimentary], hairdresser/barber, nail bar and much more.  We found immaculately attired and friendly waiting staff, all with red lipstick [the girls that is] ready to attend to our every need. We sat amused for a while thinking about ‘how the other half live’.

Priority boarding was announced [when everyone else had boarded] and we made our unhurried way to the plane and our individual private ‘pod’. Malcolm’s jacket was taken and hung in a wardrobe to be brought back to him when we landed and Champagne in an old fashioned Babycham type class served.  It proved very strange to us talking off sideways and not being sat next to each other [so Diana could bruise Malcolm’s hands on take off] but it was very comfortable being able to stretch out on our additional seat. 

At meal time there was no plastic in sight.  A crisp white starched tablecloth appeared [on our individual large table] with a  brown linen runner.  We ate from a breakable plate with steel cutlery and the fillet steak, asparagus et al were arranged on the plate as in a restaurant and was beautifully cooked and delicious.  We failed to miss the usual plastic boxes with tin foil tops and mush inside.   Malc enjoyed sticky toffee pudding for dessert and then we were served with cheese and biscuits and port from a separate cheese trolley.   Afternoon tea consisted of another cloth, a two tier cake stand with sandwich fingers [crusts missing] a selection of cakes and warm scone with jam and clotted cream.   Thinks with smile:  ‘how the other half live’  

The seat turned over on itself and formed a full length flatbed, complete with padded bottom sheet, duvet and comfy cotton covered pillow.  We both arrived refreshed and ready for the delights of Los Angeles.  More thinks:  ‘how the other half live’ 

ARRIVAL and a rude awakening!  It took us ages to find the special shuttle bus to the hotel [the cheaper option after all that opulence].  We strode purposefully from one end of the airport to another being told by different people it was ‘at the other end of the airport boulevard!  After several miles we eventually found the right bus stop and waited for a bus which would take us to all the ‘posh’ hotels in West Hollywood until it arrived at our equally posh hotel another hour later and three hours from landing.  Thinks: next time don’t be such a cheapskate and pay for a taxi, even if it is c£38 equivalent in dollars.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.