Existing Member?

Travels

Milford Sound

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 29 November 2008 | Views [611]

I had vague memories of the “Alpine road” to Milford Sound from my first trip to New Zealand on a bus tour  many years ago. I recall the courier “Bas” praising the driver after such a harrowing trip. So I wasn’t sure if I wanted to drive it or take a coach tour again.

 

We decided on driving mainly because all the coach tours arrived at the same time with the crowds herded onto the larger boats – by driving we could get on one of the smaller ones. We left very early – around six again mainly to avoid the crowds. It was a pleasant drive, stopping a few times to take in the scenery, snap some photos. Notable was the “mirror lakes” board walk and the homer tunnel which brought another flashback from the tour in 1987.

 

We arrived in plenty of time, so had a coffee while we were waiting. Snagging the “corner table” that had the best view out over the sound. At around 10:20 we boarded the “Friendship” and cruised out into the sound. The weather was good and the views and atmosphere on the cruise were great. We saw some penguins and seals, got spayed by a waterfall. We learned about a “tree slide” on the cliff face. Apparently there is a very complex fragile ecosystem on the cliff faces – there is no soil but the moss grows on the rocks then some plants take root in the moss and eventually some trees grow – until it all gets too heavy and slides down the cliff face leaving the bare rock. Then it starts all over again.

 

The drive back was pleasant enough, a few stops for photos and to look at the flowers.

 

 Back in town we walked around for a while and sat on a bench by the lake reading for a long time.

Dinner in a pizza restaurant then an early night back in the cabin watching a crappy American film “disturbia”.

 

About dean_ian


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.