Existing Member?

Travels

First Glimpse of the Himalayas

INDIA | Tuesday, 23 October 2007 | Views [533]

I awoke fresh and happy and after some investigation decided to take a walk via a small nearby town called Dharmakot into the mountains to a camping place called Truind which was supposed to be about 4-5 hours away.

It was a pleasant walk, firstly along the road then to progressively smaller tracks. It is at around 2200metres so no altitude problems. I had toyed with the idea of taking a 3 day guided trek up a nearby mountain to 4800m - but decided against it because I haven't been doing much trekking lately and I have only a limited number of days before being due in Delhi to meet my brother in law who will be travelling with me of a couple of weeks. My first view of the Himalayas in the background was motivating and positive. 

There were plenty of monkeys, some sheep and goats on the way.
The lines stuck in my head this time were from the Alanis Morrisette song 'Thank U' -

Thank you India
Thank you terror
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you frailty
Thank you consequence
Thank you thank you silence 

I didn't get to Truind - I took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up on a dead end trail. I wasn't lost because I knew the way back - but I wasn't where I was aiming to be either, but it didn't matter, I turned around and headed back - found the wrong turn but it was too late to take it and so went back home. It was a pleasant walk, not very demanding and not much strain on the knee.

Back in town I spend some time catching up on my journal, bought a new day pack and went in search of an ice cream. It seems here in the north there is more dairy produce than in Rajasthan - not sure if that has anything to do with the "sacred cow" thing - the tibetans and Sikhs don't share that.

I had an early night.

  

 

Tags: the great outdoors

About dean_ian


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.