Existing Member?

No more red dirt

Bolivia

BOLIVIA | Friday, 15 October 2010 | Views [483]

We entered Bolivia at Copacabana on the shore of Lake Titicaca. The bolivian border control was pretty lax. It was just a small little room with posters of naked women on the walls. The customs guy who otherwise seemed pretty bored got really excited when he saw Dusks NZ passport and yelled out Kiwis! Which is a bit strange as I’m sure he sees a few of us, there were at least 2 others on our bus.

Copacabana is a pretty sleepy little place except for about 30 min around midday when tourist buses from Peru and La Paz turn up. We wanted to send some post cards and souvenirs home so got everything ready and headed down to the post office only to find a sign on the window that said; “run out of stamps – go to La Paz” (La Paz is a 3 hour drive away). We had a really good meal at the Hotel Rosario the first night in Bolivia but after that the food wasn’t great. The next night Dusk had cannelloni which came out as a plate of melted cheese and not much else and was sick for the next 3 days or more.

From Copacabana we headed to La Paz mainly to get some money, as outside the major cities it is impossible to get cash in Bolivia. Dusk spent most of the 2 days there in bed trying to get better. I spent it running around the city booking tours, flights and going to the post office (which is an absolute haven of tranquillity in the madness of La Paz).

Some people we had meet in Peru told us about a 5 day bike and boat trip from Sorata high in the Andes to Rurrenabeque right down at the edge of the Amazon which sounded really good so we decided to do it. Getting to Sorata wasn’t very comfortable as the only way there was to squeeze into a van with a pile of locals for 4 hours. The bike trip started in even less comfort with 9 of us squeezing into the back of a Landcruiser for a bumpy 2 hour drive up to a 4500 m pass. The first part of the mountain biking was pretty full on with steep roads, loose rocks and sharp bends. We needed the full suspension downhill bikes and all the protective equipment they gave us. There were 5 guys and 3 girls on the trip. The girls decided to sit out the first bit and ride in the Landcruiser – all the guys had done a lot of biking before and so went for it. Surprisingly given the speed we were going and the conditions only Pablo from Spain crashed but he was fine.

Once the road improved a bit the girls joined us on the bikes. After about an hour of riding we were waiting on a corner for the last Belgium girl when the guide turned up and said “and then there were 7”. The poor girl had fallen off and probably broken her leg – we never heard for sure. Fortunately the little village we were near had a brand new hospital but she still had to face an 8 hour ambulance ride back to La Paz. As her friend went with her Dusk was the only girl left on the trip, the 2 guides and driver were all male. In hindsight the operators probably shouldn’t have let the Belgium girls go as they had never been on bikes with gears or hand brakes before let alone a downhill bike.

The rest of the riding went without problem, although Pablo did have another spectacular crash where he fell off a cliff but again was fine and I had one hairy moment when a dog chased a group of pigs onto the road in front of me but I just managed to avoid them all. We dropped almost 4000 m and travelled 120 km over the 2 days including about 20 km of rolling uphill. I really enjoyed the biking but Dusk wasn’t as keen especially as she felt she was holding us up after the other 2 girls left.

We finished the biking in Mapiri which is a real wild west town. Dirt streets, saloons, miners, dusty and hot. We decided we wanted ice creams but randomly the only place we found selling ice creams was the dealers that bought gold off the miners. It must have looked a bit suspect when 5 big foreign guys (Bolivians are all small) walked into the little office.

The next 3 days were pretty easy just sitting back in the river boat, camping, jungle walks, swimming under waterfalls, trying to buy ice creams at any of the little villages we came to and generally trying to keep cool. We had planned to do a Pampas tour out off Rurrenabeque but we were a bit over the heat and didn’t really feel like going on another trip straight away either so just decided to go straight back to La Paz. The flight from Rurrenabeque to La Paz is only is in a small 20 seater plane and only takes 45min but you basically climb all the way. We were very close to the ground and the plane was bouncing all over the place as we scraped through a pass in the Andes with mountains on either side and descended to land at the plane graveyard that is La Paz airport.

Bolivia is a pretty crazy country in general but driving there is really crazy.

·         Seatbelts are optional extras.

·         Headlights are optional extras and even if fitted are for some unknown reason rarely used even when pitch dark.

·         If your roof hasn’t caved in you can still load more cargo onto it.

·         Pedestrians are fair game unless they are being assisted by people in zebra suits. (no kidding)

·         If your vehicle comes fitted with seatbelts remove them and replace with a picture of Jesus sellotaped to the dashboard.

·         If someone hasn’t been squeezed out the side window of your collectivo (minivan taxi) you can still pick up more passengers.

·         Tyres are good until they blowout.

·         You must not let anyone overtake you. If someone is in front of you, you must overtake them. Hence the battle begins.

·         Traffic lights are only obeyed if they are patrolled by a policeman with a gun.

We had a spare day in La Paz before heading south to Uyuni. I decided I wanted to go mountain biking again – this time on the “Death Road” from La Paz to Coroico. The UN labelled it the “Death Road” as it used to have the highest number of deaths for any stretch of road in the world but this was when it was a lot busier before the new road was built. Now there are far more tourists riding bikes down it than vehicles driving it so it is relatively safe. (18 tourists have died riding down it though) I didn’t find it particularly bad and not as scary as some of the roads we went on in Peru or around Sorata but still had a lot of fun riding from the top of the Andes to the Jungle again.

At the bottom we visited an animal refuge which had lots of different animals mostly just wandering around the grounds. One of the spider monkeys took a liking to me a climbed up my arm onto my head. I was a little concerned about having a full grown monkey on my head but the volunteer didn’t seem worried. Then one of the other tourists reached out to grab my camera frightening the monkey which then fell off and started shrieking at me I assume because it thought it was all my fault.

The saga of my sunglasses. I lost my good sunglasses in Mapiri just after we finished the biking. I'm not sure if I just left them somewhere or they just walked off but definitely gone. I figured I'd just buy some cheap ones (Bolivia only has cheap sunnies) to do me till I got to Chile/Argentina. I found some just down river in Guanay but they didnt last long as I left them in the tent when it got folded up. The next pair were bought in Rurrenabeque but broke within a couple of days. The forth pair I got the morning before the salt flats tour and had broken by the following morning. They got patched up with Duct tape as they were necessary for the trip. I finally found some reasonable ones in Salta which have lasted so far. Dusk got pretty sick of looking for sunnies.

The train to Uyuni was surprisingly good if a bit rocky and from what we’ve heard a much better option than the bus. From Uyuni we joined a 3 day 4WD tour to the salt flats and volcanic region of south west Bolivia ending at the border with Chile. The 4WD tours are notoriously bad so we’d checked out a few operators and chosen one that had only a few bad reviews. (None have no bad reviews) After sitting on the side of the road all morning watching other tour groups leave our jeep finally turned up. In the end our jeep and driver weren’t too bad – at least better than the group that had a drunk driver or another group that broke down and were stranded for a day. The scenery on the tour is spectacular though and well worth the uncomfort of being squeezed into a jeep for 3 days.

At the end of the tour we were dumped at a remote, windy border post with Chile high in the Andes. We had already cleared immigration in Uyuni 3 days earlier so there was nothing to do but sit around, try to keep warm and hope our connection to San Pedro de Atacama in Chile turned up.

Thats Bolivia.

About chris_and_dusk

Leaving Vista St

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.