Existing Member?

Explore, enjoy and share!

Thank you, my dear mom!

INDIA | Friday, 9 May 2014 | Views [138] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day my mother found my ticket to Delhi. How did it look like? Dumb shock, then loud screaming and amusement. The same amusement had been following me during the whole two months of my Indian travels. I can't say it was easy to explore northern India, but I would rather say that time, undoubtedly, gave tons of food to my curiosity. Traveling with colleagues, traveling alone - everything gave something new to me and there is one colorful day I'd like to share with you.
I woke up and decided that I don’t want to teach English in English to children who don't understand English. Having felt extremely pleased with myself, I decided that trip On the bus to Delhi should be much more interesting than trip Inside the bus. The results of such decision were the following: saving 300 rupees, three new acquaintances and deeply shocked Indian drivers who had seen a foreign girl on the bus for the first time.
After that a chapter "My curiosity in Delhi" began which included the spiciest Indian pancake "dosa" for a breakfast, half-of-the-day walk in search of the Lotus Temple but finding the Temple of gigantic marble elephants instead, two litres of water for a lunch and, of course, Indian people! No doubts, the greatest thing about India is Indians: always pleased black-haired pacifists who are eager to help you even if they don't speak English.
The next chapter under the title "No-Money-Yes-Fun principle" started when I took a night bus to Dharamshala – a small town highly in Himalayas. My morning started with abrupt understanding that the cheapest Indian bus and winding mountain road is the worst combination ever. However, I totally forgot my fear when I saw a peaceful town with chaotically built small houses, Buddhist temples and souvenir shops. My amnesia became even worse when I tasted Tibetan momos and salty masala tea. This paradise continued with a visit of Dalai Lama Temple, where talkative monks completely ruined my stereotype about wordless servants of God. Finally, I found a group of cheerful Indians with very strange musical instruments: I don't remember their names but their dances on a big stone right under the small waterfall really made my evening.
That day my curiosity, full and satisfied, slept very good and even very dirty hostel room with quickly-moving red bugs on the walls didn't spoil its' dreams. What to say...Thank you, India! Thank you, Indians! Thank you, my dear mom for not tearing my ticket!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About borntotravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.