Existing Member?

Overcoming life challenges

Catching a Moment - In Order to Succeed

USA | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [92] | Scholarship Entry

Moments in my life, I experienced failure, struggle, and success. I have failed when I tore my ACL and meniscus back in 2009 from soccer. I struggled through the procedure of having surgery in 2010. The whole deal of three elements that have shaped who I am today. Tearing my ACL and going through surgery was a challenge that I had to overcome. It made me step back and put one of my goals on hold. I've made some bad choices, and me having to deal with surgery and recovery was like a punishment because of the things I was doing back in high school.
It did affect me emotionally and mentally, because all I felt was anger. Physically, I was helpless. I couldn't participate in any sports nor activities that was being held at school. The world around me was dark and emptied because I felt like I was forgotten. I felt like my guilt and anger were eating my faith and courage. Until, the very day, I changed my attitude around. One day, at physical therapy, I realized the way I acted towards myself and others. I treated others like it was their fault of why I tore my ACL. When really it was my fault, my choices were the one that did that in the first place.
You see, I failed at making the right choices. I struggled through recovery and from blaming others of what happened to me. It wasn't the end of the world, it was a new beginning, ready to be started. The day that I found my inner strength, was the day I picked myself up and pushed myself to work harder. I couldn't let a knee injury stop me from doing what I love, which was to be the natural born athlete that everyone knew.
I started working out at the fitness center, to help rebuild and strengthen my knee. I worked out every day and I pushed myself, even if I was in pain. If you ask what I've learned from working out, I would say "discipline," because that 's exactly what I did to myself. I proved to myself, and to others that I have what it takes to build yourself back up. Working out also builds character too.
I look back at where I was then, hopeless and scared. Now, I am recovered from fear. I understand failure and struggle, because without both of them, how are you suppose to succeed? It's like having hope, and you can't have hope without fighting any evil. Failing is a lesson, struggling is a teacher, and with both, it's preparing me for success.
In capturing this idea, or moment, you understand the principles of life. In a way, you can't have something without having the other.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About bojoe


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.