Existing Member?

Travel and Tao

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [254] | Scholarship Entry

Journey in an Unknown Culture
By Balazs Benedek

I have always assumed that the unknown to me, are cultures of far away.
After all, what do I know of the rainforest people of Brazil? What do I know of the H’mong tribes of Vietnam and Thailand?
I know little. What I do know is that they are far away. They are a world removed from me, both physically and culturally.
But upon closer inspection, if I search and look around, I can see that even the space and people that surround me is an alien culture.
There is no need to travel far away, just stop for a moment and look around: here and now. The greates journey ever.
How fantastic it is to re-discover the place where you are?
A place that through the time spent there has become known, and lost most of its appeal. However, herein lays, the greatest possible discovery, and travel ever too be undertaken. After all is said and done, after all is discovered – the journey and rediscovery of the self evident, is the most enlightened one.
How truly revolutionary it is to view your vantage point from a new perspective? To gather new viewpoints of this space that surrounds you.
I have always been a firm believer of the theory – that was co-founded by a friend and me after a night on the town – the Permanent Tourist Theory.
We should consider ourselves permanent tourists. Wherever we are, others are yearning to see it, and ultimately many of us are yearning to go somewhere else.
But in this space lies the reality and beauty of the present moment. And the present moment is always open to reinterpretation.
Taking a step back. Looking at the city that I am in now, through different eyes and lenses, I change the views. From green to pink to blue hues I see my surroundings.
And I see a different city.
I see different faces and different people.
Alas, I have traveled without moving. I have discovered the underlying Toa of travel, travel deep within.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About balazsb


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.