Existing Member?

The Marvel of Nature

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 10 April 2012 | Views [167] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

The Spirit of New Zealand, a sailing ship taking teens out forty at a time on a sailing adventure. My story of a local encounter changed my life comes from my voyage on this majestic ship. Out on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf in Auckland, I truly learnt to appreciate nature. Cut off from civilisation for 10 days, with no technology, just people, exploring the radiant waters of the harbours of Auckland, and the coasts of New Zealand. Having never spent a night on a boat, let alone ten, there was reason to be anxious. However, anxiety was soon no issue due to the marvellous scenery presented upon this trip.
The mighty Rangitoto, an ancient volcano, stands towering above, guarding the Auckland Harbour with its stereotypical volcano shape and almost perfectly rounded base. Passing under the watchful gaze of this magnificent volcano, we were joined by a small pod of dolphins, including a calf, who seemed just as grateful to see us as we were them. Riding in the bow wave from the ship these marvels of nature entertained us for many hours, before ever so gracefully leaving us for passing company.
By now the open waters we sought had been reached, and the marvellous, seemingly undiscovered coastlines of the islands of Auckland’s Hauraki Gulf offered scenery to marvel. From the wonder of Waiheke Island, an island well known for its wine production, to the nature reserve of Tiritiri Matangi, home to many native animals. Kawau Island offered shelter for one night, an island where zebras and monkeys were failed to be introduced many years ago. Upon return into the Auckland Harbour after nine wonderful days exploring the coast we were treated to a rare experience. A pod of Orca were spotted in the distance, rare enough as it is to see Orca in New Zealand (there are only 200 in New Zealand), it was a once in a lifetime event as they swam toward us, diving, and playing with the ship as if it were a toy. My voyage was unique, and helped me gain a new appreciation of nature.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

Comments

1

Awesome piece (: heard so much about this from loads of peope! Sounds like an amazing experience you had

  Mr Teddikins Apr 10, 2012 2:48 PM

About auckland


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.