Existing Member?

The Traveling Poet

The Ignition

USA | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [266] | Scholarship Entry

My eyes were closed. I was having flashbacks of my entire life and every choice that led me to this moment. I can feel the oxygen rushing into my chest like a water dam that has been breached. The air flooded my lungs and activated an indescribable energy. I was staring at the road ahead of me knowing that I was about to partake on a 6-month journey into the unknown. I sold all of my belongings and the only thing I had left was this road.
All travelers know, that when you feel the inner calling, the only choice you have is how quickly you are going to surrender to it. The longer you deny it, the hungrier it gets.
I was once homeless and after witnessing 911, I suffered from anxiety attacks. Yet here I was with the keys were in the ignition ready to break through my fears.I could not help but think, “How did I get here?”
You never know how brave you are until you experience fear. It is in that moment that you get to dig deep down in your guts and discover the true character that lies behind the façade. When fear and excitement melt into each other, it is impossible to not feel fully alive.
What if my limited experiences have prevented me from seeing past my own self-created reality? What if there is a whole world out there that has yet to be discovered?
It is not about the thoughts. It is about the feelings. It is not about what was, but rather what is. It is not about knowing, it is about discovering. I then realized that life comes down to having as many meaningful experiences as possible. And if you feel that you are not having those, than maybe the true goal is to bring meaning to your experience. We can do this by simply shifting our perspectives. I must push myself past my comfort zone. Every thing that I think I know about the world is inside of my comfort zone. Every thing that I do not know about the world lies on the cusp of my boundaries.
I knew that this remained as just a thought it would not have the thrust needed to propel it into reality, since passion is the fuel that drives our dreams through fear and doubt. I do not know how I got here and I do not know where I am going. All I know is that right now…in this moment…I must turn on the ignition. My life depends on it.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About apollopoetry


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.