Existing Member?

Tea, Soup, and Momos

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [149] | Scholarship Entry

Appetite and appreciation is what one need when following a destination for food and culture. The scenic beauty on one side and on the other several booths having several items from Tibetan utensils, jewellery, art pieces, books on Buddhism and Tibet and momos(dim sum). No visit can be complete to Mcleodganj without tasting the authentic preparation of momos(dimsum)(fried or steamed totally ones choice), thupka soup and mint tea. And the best place to try these items is no hi-fi restaurant but these stalls or street joints. But the food ride doesn’t stop here; Mcllo is a restaurant with excellent ambience and awesome food. We tried Chilli chicken, Manchurian, Momos(dimsum) and everything was just awesome, both taste and quantity wise. This restaurant is no ordinary place people like 007 yeah Pierce Brosnan, members of Indian and Pakistani cricket team and many more have sat here and enjoyed the mouth watering flavours of this place.

One can always visit the famous Bhagsung Falls it just 2.5 km trek and place is worth it. Beautiful scenery, landscape and pleasant climate are all one needs to enjoy this place. There is cafe: ‘Shiva Cafe’ just adjacent to fall, one can always try mint tea or any other stuff including Hookah. Though foreign travellers are always more here but local people are warm and jolly folks.

Mcleodganj is also famous for Dalai Lama, the exiled leader of the Tibet. The monastery is beautiful and place looks so peaceful and soul satisfying. Anyone can visit the place unless there is demonstration or something (we got stuck in one actually). Many other Hindu temples are just few kilometres away and many more scenic places too like Palampur, Dalhousie.

All in all it is place to be, for its richness of food and culture.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About ankitmagotra


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.