Existing Member?

Peregrinations Mexico and Central America on Motorcycle: Open road, open heart, open mind.

Unemployed, homeless and happy!

USA | Thursday, 24 February 2011 | Views [1046] | Comments [1]

Sitting at home in Evergreen, drinking a 90 Shilling at two in the afternoon on a Thursday. Ahhhh. It's vacation time.

Or is it? I can't believe how busy I've been since quitting my job! Most of my free time has been spent online, figuring out all the adult stuff in my life, like 401(k) rollovers and health insurance. Blech. But that's all nearly done, now. All I have left is the weekend in Colorado, then two weeks in Albuquerque with my boyfriend, getting used to riding the bike with all the gear, going to the climbing gym, and working on my tan so I don't scare the locals in Baja. Now that will be vacation.

So I've been thinking about what style to write the rest of my blog in, and as I'm in the middle of Mark Twain's "Roughing It" right now, I'm feeling pretty inspired to channel the olde-style narration from the days of yore. It seems as though many people write about travel these days assuming everyone who reads them will be familiar enough with travel and geography to not need excessive detail. But the way Twain wrote about "cayotes" and the Rocky Mountains and even sage brush, for pete's sake, was captivating, and I've been surrounded by all three of those things my entire life!

So, here's hoping I can describe the world around me with as fresh eyes as Mark Twains' when he journeyed across the American west by stage coach in his early 20's. Hell: here's hoping I can see through those eyes in the first place!

Comments

1

Love your comment about job-quitting and staying busy. How did I ever get anything done when I was working full time?

Write whatever details catch your attention and seem important to you. You'll naturally attract the audience you want and lose the one you don't. :)

  Eric Mar 18, 2011 7:50 AM

About alpiner84


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.