Existing Member?

I wanna go Florida Stories and adventures from Around the World

Cyprus

CYPRUS | Wednesday, 30 July 2008 | Views [1278]

Albert loves to talk about where we are, where we are going, and where we have been. Here he is discussing the border issue with Jett.

Albert loves to talk about where we are, where we are going, and where we have been. Here he is discussing the border issue with Jett.

At the beginning of our trip ‘half way around the world’, we stopped in Cyprus.

 

It seems to have been a little step on the path to Australia, with the giant of India in our sights, but looking  back in time,  from my armchair, it was a remarkably diverse place.

 

We spent three days there. We arrived at night and picked up our hire car. Albert had arranged our transport before departure on our epic journey.

 

There is something for everyone. Cyprus has mountains, forests, beaches, streams, a border between the north and the south, Byzantine churches, Roman ruins, luxury shopping, waterfalls – you name it, it seems to cover everything.

 

Signs for Tourists

Not to complicate the issue, the signs directed traffic to the ‘tourist’ areas, or the ‘old town’. Honestly, there was a sign pointing ‘tourists this way’.  Of course, being unabashed sticky noses, we drove down one way (to discover the fair skinned restaurant dwellers and their habitat) and then back tracked to find ourselves having trouble parking the car, and wondering in what little corner to have a quick cup of coffee in …

 

Cypriot Coffee

Ah, the coffee… well, we did it, so I can’t tell you not to… We drank the Cypriot coffee… just for the experience. Imagine the grainy fodder at the bottom of your bath tub, swirl the grains into thick mud like substance.. then imagine that in your mouth… mmmmm

 

Four Unforgettable Experiences  

 

Byzantine Churches

Atmospheric and charming.

 

Roman Mosaics

These mosaics prompted me to study Ancient Roman History this year. They were simply jaw dropping. And to think, only ‘accidentally’ discovered in the ‘60’s.

 

The Stunning Coast and Aphrodite’s Birthplace

 

The

Forest Drive

This was amazing. We didn’t take any worth while photos. The light wasn’t good enough, or our camera lacking. We’d been driving across the island and accidentally found ourselves on a dirt track.   The track wound down into a valley, and we drove along beside a stream with enchanting. We saw the elusive moufflon, a near extinct wild sheep, and a truck with two of the oldest looking humans I have ever seen. It was a man and woman. Very old, very white haired, very crumpled. He was driving a utility van and she sat beside him. They had a truck full of empty water bottles. Albert and I imagined that they were 700 or so years old, and had found a secret source of water that kept them young enough….. It was a magical place…

Cyprus – well worth more than a fleeting visit.

Tags: albert, art, beaches, coffee, forests, t a j, temples

About allwelcome


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cyprus

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.