Existing Member?

My Online Journey t is all about my journey that I did. My Father said "A place You have visited should give you an experience, so You must learning everything in everywhere with everyone". So, it is my first step to be a travel writer and open the world, meet each other

Understanding a Culture through Food - The sweetest recipe for the sweetest moment.

INDONESIA | Thursday, 18 April 2013 | Views [738] | Scholarship Entry

I was born as Betawinese. Betawinese is one of ethnic from Indonesia. Indonesians said that Betawinese is the combination of Arabic culture, Portuguese, and also Chinese.

Lunkhead Betawi (Dodol Betawi) is one of traditional recipe adopted by Chinese. Every Iedul Fitri My Grand Mother always make it as the tradition in Betawinese. In the modern era, people who wants to make lunkhead is not as much as last.

In the middle of July 2012

My Grand Mother is one of masterpiece for lunkhead in my city. After dawn in Ramadhan 2012, She prepared all of ingredients for make a lunkhead helped by My Grand Father and My Aunt. At least 12 hours non stop you must knead the dough which consist of brown sugar, coconut and glutinous rice flour to better cooked. I knew is not easy to do when They was fasting.

"Nyak (means Grand Mother), why do you still want to make lunkhead? I think we can buy it!!"

"You can buy everything but you can buy the sweetest memory from the sweetest recipe"

"I can't understand!!"

"You can learned anything from a lunkhead!! Love, Patience, and Happiness. You make it for lovely person with patience and after this You'll see the happiness from them."

Two months later I went Semarang. In Semarang so many Chinese who live there. I visited one of the store that sold lunkhead.

"Hai Koh (is mean MR) Why do you still sell the lunkhead? "

The seller saw and smile to me

"Do you know dear, I'm not selling a lunkhead, but I'm selling a happiness!!"

"What do you mean Koh?"

"rarely the sellers of lunkhead, when they found lunkhead the found a happiness too. In Our Tradition, giving a lunkhead even just one is become a thousand happinesses"

And Now I knew, This sweetest recipe for the sweetest moment.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About ziahmuharam


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.