Existing Member?

Kicking myself all the way

Fake Baja? UPDATED

USA | Sunday, 19 April 2015 | Views [242]

It seems very strange to get to La Paz from the road North. From Ensenada and for the next 1000 miles of roads south it's very rural, desert scrub and small scale. Then after days of this suddenly you stumble into La Paz and find a Walmart and Applebees. Hummers and shiny cars replace the clunkers and long haul trucks. The narrow roads with the rubbish strewn Sea of Cortez million -dollar- Vistas - spoilt replaced by an immaculate Malacon  (sea front promenade ).

 

What a pretentious way to begin my travel stories uh!

My brother and I had planned to leave on Monday with Roni and Kellan and Amaris waving us off but after 1 last pancake breakfast a la Dad we had run out of time. Amo and Roni said their goodbyes instead asher and Amo walked away to school, and a tearful Kellan and I bear hugged till his ride to school arrived. And then we began!

 

My little xr started 1st kick bless it - I confess I was a tad worried my big exit would be somewhat dampened by a reluctant to start bike, but without an audience it couldn't be bothered to make a scene! Besides, it's as much it's trip as mine.

 

We got to the border easily, and with the aid of a friendly official got both bikes permitted - turns out 1 person cannot bring 2 vehicles into Mexico so the only solution was to sign over the KTM 640 Adventure title to Phil there and then. It had been in my name for ease of registration etc but I guess I just tell the dmv I lost the title and get a new one when I get back.

 

After that stressful border crossing (joke) we ended up having a super short - 125 mile day - before arriving at a really nice resort style hotel on the coast outside Ensenada. $80 for the night then start on the beers .. .  All before 2 pm. That's how you start a road trip.

  

Update:

Wow - just rolled into Cabo for the first time. It puts poor La Paz to shame - I saw a garden center for goodness sake! In Baja? I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

 

 

About yoshic


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.