Existing Member?

Workin the World The 4 month trip that lasted 5 years .. all the adventures from Workers final year o/s and the trip back to Oz.

Start Your Engines

SPAIN | Wednesday, 8 August 2007 | Views [1193]

For those familiar with the Cannon Ball Run movies, you will know they managed to seamlessly blend a group of hard drinking Hollywood stars, fast cars and hot women, with just the right mix of Dom deLouis, to create an all time classic. These were just the ingredients I was looking for when the team set out for our own version. So strap yourself in, this series is going to be a long one, good to while away at least 30mins of work time.

The Cannon Ball Run

The Team:
Feisty Mechanic - Sophia ‘Mouse’ Herdina
Big Busted Driver – Jane ‘Chesty LaRue’ Gray
Drunk Priest ala dean Martin - Worker

The Vehicle:
Hamish, a 1998 Vauxhall (Holden) Vectra station Wagon

The Challenge:
To leave a trail of destruction from Barcelona, Spain to Split, Croatia, in 2 weeks ensuring we covered off:
- Dali’s House
- French Riveria
- Tuscanny
- Slovenia
- North Croatian Coast

Sure the task seemed ominous, but with enough beer in your system and fuel in your tank I was sure Europe would truly be at our mercy. The meeting date was August 3, allowing 4 days to cover Barcelona and get the preparations complete. Mouse would be coming in by bus from Valencia, Worker from Helsinki via Plane with Chesty and Hamish driving down from London. After spending a few days immersing ourselves in Barca, including, but not limited to:
- The Gaudi Works - Apartments, Park Guell and Sagrada Famiglia
- Las Ramblas – amazing street full of street performers where my last visit I managed to lose €45 betting on the ‘spot the pea game’ only to get back €50 an hour later when I complained to the cops (with interest rates like that I could fund my trip if I invested enough!)
- The fountain water show, complete with classical music and illuminated spray, this is truly magical
- Nou Camp – Home to Barcelona FC, amazing stadium and museum
- Eating as much Tapas as possible

We drove out of Barcelona destination unknown, why? Because the girls wouldn’t tell me! Sure it was my car and hey I was driving but why on earth should I need to know where we were headed!! However their choice proved to be a good one, after camping for the night in torrential rain (for those still in drought all you need to do is simply think about putting up my tent and the heavens will open), we drove the windy road to Figueres, the last residence of Salvador Dali. The house is situated on cliffs over looking the bay of a small fishing village, from the moment you arrive it is clear why he chose this spot; the contrasting colours, the landscape, the water, for an artist there is inspiration all around. Fortunately the house is open for the public providing an insight into the mind of a truly eccentric, yet great artist. From the stuffed polar bear coat rack in the welcoming room, to the tiny cage on the wall of his bedroom where he kept crickets to lull him to sleep, the house is full of unique and interesting furnishings and yet somehow it all works well. After spending a couple of hours here we jumped back into Hamish with the aim to get in to the south of France by the end of the day, but would we make it?? Stay tuned …

Tags: On the Road

About worker


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.