Existing Member?

Workin the World The 4 month trip that lasted 5 years .. all the adventures from Workers final year o/s and the trip back to Oz.

African Arrival

KENYA | Friday, 12 October 2007 | Views [1019]

After a long flight and even longer visa application line, we have arrived in Nairobi. The thing that strikes you first is that everyone operates on Kenyan time. I believe this is the reason we are now 2 hours ahead of the UK because by the time you get anything done those 2 hours are long gone!

Driving from the airport to the hotel was interesting, I have driven in Africa before and it would seem each country is vying as to who can be the craziest on the road. I will say this though, I have never seen a man running with a stick chasing an ox along a main road anywhere else in the world, I also never knew just how quick an ox can move!

You will also be pleased to know council workers over here appear to have the same work ethic as their counterparts the world over, only difference here is there are about 30 of them standing around instead of the customary 4 or 5. In fact I would suggest some time in motion studies would not go astray over here, the hotel we are in for tonight would seriously have more staff than guests and yet it seems like no one is doing anything??

So we meet up with our crew tomorrow and begin our trek down through the heart of Africa, 54 days camping and riding rough in the back of a truck, should be interesting!!

Until then, stay classy

Tags: On the Road

About worker


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.