Travel insurance for teaching overseas

Photo courtesy of i-to-i

A working holiday as a teacher can be extremely rewarding and a great way to explore the world, become a part of the local community, and get paid for it. Yet if you get sick or injured while overseas, or your gear is stolen, how will you cover your medical bills or get help to replace your belongings if something does go wrong? That’s why travel insurance is a good idea.

Travel Insurance for teachers

World Nomads travel insurance covers working holidays, however there may be some parts of your work or holiday that may not be covered, depending on:

1. Your country of residence.

World Nomads covers residents of over 150 countries for non-manual work whilst overseas. For UK & Irish residents on working holidays, special conditions apply.

2. The type of work (and play) you will be doing

If you're teaching students in a classroom and you accidentally trip over and hurt yourself, it's likely you'll be covered. However, if you're planning a field trip and decide to pat the nice tiger cub who then bites you, you may not be covered.

The most important thing is to ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT when you buy the policy (not just because the suits in our office tell us to). These details explain if the policy will cover you for all the things you plan to do on your working holiday.  So, do take the time to read the fine print before you buy, as then you'll know for sure what you are covered for (and most importantly what you are not covered for) on your working holiday.

To help make reading the fine print easier, here is the plain English version...

Am I covered to work as a teacher?

World Nomads travel insurance provides cover for you to work as a classroom teacher (including work placements, incidental work and work experience, paid or unpaid) and any non-manual work as per the policy terms and conditions.

What is covered?

World Nomads travel insurance includes emergency medical expenses and medical evacuation, as well as cover for your baggage, cancellation costs, emergency dental expenses and liability, depending on your country of residence . For specific details of what World Nomads can cover you for, please check the relevant policy wording for your country of residence.

If you are injured at work, you must first claim for your medical expenses through your employer’s workers compensation policy. Any amounts not covered under workers compensation can then be submitted to World Nomads for consideration.

You are not covered for:

1. Medical conditions that exist before you travel;

2. Deliberately putting your life in danger;

3. Anything that involves alcohol or drugs;

4. Personal liability whilst working (for example, if you accidentally injure a student or damage property at your place of work);

5. Anything listed in the GENERAL EXCLUSIONS in the policy wording.

I am already overseas - can I still get travel insurance?

Yes, with World Nomads you can buy, extend and claim online from anywhere in the world 24/7, even if you’re already travelling.

We’ll also keep you travelling safely with iPod language guides, our Travel Safety Hub and your own travel journal to stay in touch with friends and family. You can also make a positive contribution through our Footprints charity program and see the difference you make.

Travel Insurance for UK / Irish resident teachers

World Nomads travel insurance provides standard cover (Level 1) for you to work as a classroom teacher (including work placements, incidental work and work experience, paid or unpaid) and any non-manual work. You can also pay to include manual work activities (Levels 2, 3 and 4), however exclusions do apply.

Benefits of World Nomads travel insurance include emergency medical expenses and medical evacuation, as well as cover for your baggage, cancellation costs, emergency dental expenses and liability, depending on your country of residence . For specific details of what World Nomads can cover you for, please check the relevant policy wording  for your country of residence

If you are injured at work, you must first claim for your medical expenses through your employer’s workers compensation policy. Any amounts not covered under workers compensation can then be submitted to World Nomads for consideration.

You are not covered for:

1. Work with mechanical or industrial machinery;

2. Work at a height above 2 metres unless fruit picking;

3. Work on offshore installations;

4. Work as a ski, snowboard or diving instructor or guide;

5. Work as a trekking guide where ropes or other specialist climbing equipment is required;

6. Work with dangerous animals, including big cats, crocodiles, alligators, sharks, hippopotamuses, snakes, elephants or bears;

7. Work involving hazardous activities;

8. Medical conditions that exist before you travel;

9. Deliberately putting your life in danger;

10. Anything that involves alcohol or drugs;

11. Personal liability whilst working (for example, if you accidentally injure a student or damage property at your place of work);

12. Anything listed in the GENERAL EXCLUSIONS in the policy wording.

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller’s journey. Learn more about work and holiday opportunities worldwide at WorldNomads.com

Travel Insurance

Simple and flexible travel insurance

You can buy at home or while traveling, and claim online from anywhere in the world. With 150+ adventure activities covered and 24/7 emergency assistance.

Get a quote

No Comments

Add a Comment