Existing Member?

International Adventures...and some closer to home!

In my Backyard – 5 Must Do Things in Melbourne, Australia

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 29 August 2011 | Views [2124] | Comments [1]

In my Backyard – 5 Must Do Things in Melbourne, Australia

Melbourne is often hailed as the 'European capital of Australia.' It is also known for its infinate shopping options and the cafe/small bar culture that permeates each cultural hub within the city and it's inner 'burbs.

There are endless options for entertainment within Melbourne, but these are my TOP 5:

1. Check out the diverse bars and nightlife.

... I recommend The Alchemist (361 Brunswick St, Fitzroy) as a top cocktail bar with sensational cocktails, happy and friendly staff and an intimate atmosphere. There is also live jazz Tuesdays/Thursdays every week! For a longneck (aussie for 750ml beer), check out the ever-cool Section8 (Tattersalls Lane, CBD) for a graffiti covered shipping container-turned outdoor bar with live dj 7 nights. Workshop (Cnr A'Beckett and Elizabeth Sts, CBD) has dubstep and drum'n'base, and its outdoor terrace is a funky greenhouse theme with jugs of beer and open til late.

                             
                                    The Alchemist

2. Enjoy a brunch, any day of the week!

...So popular is the concept of brunch in Melbourne, most places serve breakfast all or most of the day! Sensational for all those on holiday and even better for your mid-morning breakfast... I love Auction Rooms (Errol St, North Melbourne), and their Siphon coffee will keep you going for hours. For a real Melbourne/European cafe experience, Degraves St off Flinders Lane (CBD) is a must, there are options galore! If anyone's a Vegetarian or Vegan, the best cafe in town is Vegie Bar (Brunswick St, Fitzroy) which offers cheap meals with huge portion sizes and fantastic coffee - the Falafel Wrap is SENSATIONAL!

                            
                                    Auction Rooms

3. Markets, markets and more markets!

...so many markets! Food, Clothing, Op, Art... you name it and you will find it somewhere in Melbourne. While a tourist attraction, Victoria Markets are my staple grocery shop and are half the price of any supermarket. South Melbourne markets offer some of the tastiest food treats in town and on sundays in St Kilda you can find one of the best Arts/Crafts markets in Australia.

                              
                                     Victoria Markets

4. Sporting moments...

...I LOVE going to live matches. I'm a massive football (soccer) fan, and you will often catch me at a local Melbourne Victory game. I also love watching Rugby Union and as there are two teams in Melbourne, theres a strong possiblity you will get the chance to watch a match. I'm not so into tennis but when the Aussie Open is on the atmosphere in and around the grounds will draw you in! And don't forget the races out at Flemington...!!

                            
                                     @ a Melbourne match...

5. Melbourne 'Areas' ... and the subcultures within!

...Within Melbourne and its inner suburbs, different areas are famous for different things. Fitzroy is the home of 'hipsters' with a strong art/music scene, galleries, and quirky clothing shops to match! St Kilda is known for backpackers, but is also frequented by the elite as posh areas Elwood and Brighton are close by... The Espy has become an instiution for live gigs, and the 'beach' lends to a similar equivalent to Sydney's Bondi. Chapel St is famous for its clubs with many open until the mid-morning hours, while North Melbourne is the up and coming area housing Victoria Markets. These are areas that you can wander through, get lost in, and absorb the atmosphere of which each is unique and different!

                                 
                                   Brunswick St, Fitzroy

Tags: #blogyourbackyard, /%23blogyourbackyard, bar, cafe, melbourne, nightlife, sport australia, suburbs, top 5, twitter.com/#!/search

Comments

1

Hi wildchildhannah,

Congratulations! This ‘Blog your Backyard’ submission has been chosen as one of the 20 winners of an Urban Adventures voucher. Please email Alicia@worldnomads.com to find out how to redeem your experience.

Thanks for being part of our ‘Blog your Backyard’ project and sharing your local knowledge with our community!

Cheers,
Alicia
WorldNomads.com

  travel-competitions Sep 14, 2011 9:50 AM

About wildchildhannah

amazon boat trip

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.