Existing Member?

Where In The World

If You Feel You're In Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough - M. Andretti

TURKEY | Friday, 29 June 2007 | Views [5219] | Comments [2]

Double Trouble CAPPADOCIA

Double Trouble CAPPADOCIA

After 'Turkish Night', a night of all you can eat and drink with traditional folk music and dances (including the infamous bellydancers), what better way to explore the Cappdocia region than on a motorbike or scooter.  In total there were 5 of us - myself, Amanda, J, Hamish, and Lilian or Frenchy as we called him.

For 30 YTL each, we were able to rent motorbikes for the entire day.  Unfortunately, when we arrived they only had 2 dirtbikes and 3 scooters.  Since Amanda isn't comfortable driving a bike on her own and I am too short to support both of us on the dirtbike we were stuck with the scooter.  Fortunately, from previous experience we have mastered riding a scooter together and actually have a system.  I sit up front and control the bike but when we stop she puts her feet down and supports us.  In the end, Hamish and J drove the dirtbikes while Mandz, Frency, and I took to the scooters.

Being the wonderful tour leader that Hamish is, he took charge and led us on our unforgettable adventure.  First stop was to Love Valley.  I'll let you look at the pictures and judge for yourself as to why they've given the valley its name (it took me a few minutes so don't feel ashamed if you don't get it right away).  However, when we arrived a movie was being filmed and not knowing beforehand, we came charging in up the hill at full throttle onto the set, oops.  Sadly, no extras were needed so we watched a bit of filming and then continued on our way.

And now for the best part....

The boys decided to go off-roading and what started off as a gravel path eventually turned into flattened grass with sand patches.  Keep in mind that Amanda and I are riding double on a SCOOTER while everyone else is riding single and on dirt bikes (except Frenchy who apparently is an expert scootersman).  The 1st few sand patches threw us a bit as we'd fishtale (when your backend has no friction and it's sliding out of control, have no fears I'm motorcycle trained..HA) but we always maintained, cause we ROCK!  That is until we hit the rock, more like a small boulder which I didn't see because Amanda had me laughing so hard my abs were in cramps and I was almost doubled-over while driving.  I can't recollect what we were laughing at but if you can imagine the scene you'd be laughing too:

Frenchy - a bigger Frenchman (by no means fat) on a scooter, driving like a madman - literally up a hill which was so steep he couldn't even drive up it completely.  He actually had to jump off and run up the hill while he gave the scooter gas because the hill we were trying to drive up was more like a gravely mountain!

Next, 2 girls from America (where driving a scooter isn't an everyday activity like it is in France) trying their best to follow the mad Frenchman.  No bump too big no speed too fast, except when you maintain full throttle but your speed is only under 30km because the hill is so steep.

Finally, in the way way way back you have the two SINGLE boys on the DIRTBIKES.  They must have been smelling daisy's because they were miles behind the folks on scooters.  Of course Amanda and I didn't wreck the scooter.  It was more like we 'tipped over' at a menial pace (full throttle) while driving up the sandy, gravely incline and hitting a small boulder.  Who wouldn't tip over in those conditions.  We were so much in control that it was more like I set the bike down.  Hours later (ok really only minutes) the motorbike boys showed up but the situation was already in control.  We decided to head back down the mountain and see the other sites.

And the rest of the day is to be continued......

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

wow, is really great what you are doing, congratz :D!

  Craing Aug 13, 2007 7:43 AM

2

Ok. I am looking for the next instalment. Dont let me down. the Guv'nor

  fatman-travels Oct 3, 2007 4:55 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.