Existing Member?

Where In The World

7 Second Sharon

NAMIBIA | Thursday, 13 September 2007 | Views [1251]

Heads Make Great Stoppers...Hands and Feet are Overrated (ouch)

Heads Make Great Stoppers...Hands and Feet are Overrated (ouch)

Sandboarding, an activity that is popular in Swakopmund and one I wasn't intending to participate in.  However I was easily roped into it by my fellow peers and the action-packed video that was shown to us.

Basically it is similar to snowboarding except you have two options: go down in an upright position using a snowboard OR flat on your belly with a piece of plywood called the 'Kalahari Ferrari'.  I opted for the former which was a serious workout because unlike snowboarding there is NO lift to take you to the top.  Once you go down you, not only, get to hike back up to the top but you also have to do so on loose sand with a snowboard and in snowboots! (Butt and Calve workout #2)  There was even an installed ramp for you to launch off and try tricks.  I've never done it in the snow but I figured I shoulde give it a go, especially since I now had travel insurance.

It was the last jump of the day and I was the only one left at the top.  It was the perfect opportunity for me to try and get as much air as possible because when would I again be boarding on sands from the Kalahari!?  Apparently my launch covered a large distance but had little height, the exact OPPOSITE of what I wanted.  So when I came down, I did so on MY HEAD and hard!

The next thing I remember was sitting on the back of a pick-up truck wondering, "Who's this guy next to me?" "Who were all these other people" and "Where the hell where we?!"  I did think that all the dunes were much too large to be from FL but other than that I was at a complete loss.  Fortunately, the people on our tour could form a small clinic on wheels as we had: 2 medical students, 1 doctor, 2 physiotherapists, and 2 surgical nurses...PHEW!  I was definately in good hands plus I think I was entertaining as I sat around in complete confusion.  I was constantly asking the same question over again: "Hey...Where are my sunglasses?!" "Has anyone seen my sunglasses?" "I don't remember where I put my sunglasses!?"  If you've ever seen the movie, '50 First Dates' I was like 10 Second Tom and rightfully dubbed '7 Second Sharon' as I inquired jabout my sunnies about every seven seconds!

Eventually people began to notice and soon after I was diagnosed with my first concussion!  Another clue was the memory loss I was suffering.  I had no recollection of doing sandboarding at all.  Once it was established where I was (not remotely near the Fl dunes but on a whole different continent, AFRICA) and what we were doing there I was really excited.  However, I was quickly disappointed when told we'd actually just finished the boarding but I had no memory of it!

As the day went by 1 or 2 things came back to memory but it wasn't until we saw the DVD later that night that it all returned (or most of it).  We'd all gathered at the local pub and as the film was nearing the end everyone was becoming excited to see the jump that caused it all.  Fortunately no one was disappointed with the crash landing and I like to say my dad would be proud of this one.  I got heaps of moans along with shudders from the crowd as they imagined the pain of the landing.  I even got quite a few pats on the back from strangers watching in the pub.  Plus, the editing crew said they watched it in slow motion over and over again, each time with oh's and ah's as I landed on my head.  Our instructor felt pity for me for not remembering and even offered a free session for the next day.  However, doctors orders were to have a mellow day so I declined but he did give me a free T-shirt!

In the end, most of my memory returned but there are bits that are still missing, particularly the landing and the entire ride down the dune to the bottom.  To quote the video:

Guide: "Did you guys have a great time?"

Everyone: "YES!"

Sharon: "Ummm...I can't remember?!"

It was definately an excellent time.

Tags: Adrenaline

 

 

Travel Answers about Namibia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.