Existing Member?

Don't foget to pack a smile A journal of an aussie gal's adventures while living and working in UK and riding the wave that is travel

Sunny london

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 15 May 2008 | Views [1250]

Well I have arrived and Its thursday today so it will be nearly a week on saturday that I have been here and what a week it has been.

I never quite expected to fall as much in love with London as I have. It's one of those cities that is like a tall dark handsome stranger that winks and smiles at you and makes u feel all warm and tingly inside and longing to know more about its centre. I have never known a city to hold so much mystery, like an onion with a million and one layers. It is london and I am falling in love with it.

My first few days flew by recovering from jet lag which didnt actually affect me too much at all other than reducing my apetite and making me a bit sluggish. I went and spent a full day at the gorge at Chafford Hundred which is about 20 mins by district rail out of london, a five quid fare to the city heart which I dont mind at all. This place has a country charm that you can't help but love. 

By far the biggest thing which struck me was the greenery, everything was so lush, so bold and healthy, and the weather warmer than i could have ever expected. It was t-shirt and short weather the first four days, which was part of a heat wave, so I am told. Which is rather ridiculous considering just how hot it gets in Aus.

Spring is well and truly in full flush here, when we went to the gorge, which is a filled in old quarry which is a myriad of ponds and minature lakes with geese and ducks, there were four sets of goslings swimming about with their family, and I even caught a pair of lady birds in the middle of some spring loving. The lady birds are so big over here, at least double the size, not as bright but so much bigger.

One of the lovely things which struck me was the daisies and the wishing flowers which are everywhere. They adorn the road sides and any spare patch of grass. I just love it, they dot the sides of the roads with colour and vitality and just make you feel like you are in the country even while cars are whizzing by you.

One of my biggest challenges is the tube. My god what a confusing debacle it was the first few days but now I'm beginning to like it, even appreciate it and am able to navigate it without breaking out into a cold sweat with panic.

But in saying that, the tube is like a whole other world, down there, there are buskers who are simply amazing. There was a french man playing hte accordian and if u closed your eyes I would swear you could be by the french riviviera sipping on a latte being seduced by the melodic tunes of the accordian. There was a another guy who was singing opera that simply cut right through you and gave me goosebumps, another crazy man who was dancing for pennies and another who was a japanese man playing the flute, he actually started playing a song which is dear to mick and i and it just made we feel all warm inside. Already these charming charlatans have gotten close to 3 pounds out of me, i just cant help it they are so entertaining and talented. The tube would not be the same without them. I always detested the buskers (well the crappy ones) in Brisbane but u cant help but love them here. They add to the colour and flavour which is London.

Already I am falling hopelessly in love with Leicester Square and piccadilly circus. It has such a presence, culture and atmosphere. I love it, the little italian restaurants on every corner, the bagel nash stores and little nooks along the way. Its just wonderful, I want to snuggle myself under its covers and soak in everything it has to offer.

I have made some very interesting observations which everyone may or may not who have been to london will already be aware of, but for those who havent and for my own personal records indulge me:

Some observations:

-There are a lot of healthy people over here who run in their lunch break, not a lot of overweight or unhealthy people.

- In saying that, so so many people smoke, a lot of young people.

- Everyone drops the t in words - somehin (for something) and nufing (nothing) etc. It can get quite confusing.

- there are no rubbish bins because of the terror attack years ago, u just have to leave ur rubbish on the ground and rubbish collectors pick it up.

- people say hi ya love to everyone.

- the girls slap on the makeup really really heavily. Im talking like full nightwear makeup and then some.

-Fashion is everywhere, its official I am a dag.

-People eat and drink on trains.

-There is alcohol in the supermarkets to buy.

-people dont like being approached by strangers i had one guy say no no no and run away, all i wanted to know was where was the post office.

- There are so many food options here, much more than in aus, u could have anything for lunch and the pubs are very charming.

-I will never step inside a red telephone box again, they smell like wee inside and faeces and sex. I had to make a call on one and i gagged the whole time.

- when the weather gets above 20 degrees people take their shirts off, and walk around, girls bikini sun bake. its rather odd seeing shirtless men in country england.

- on the tube, when going up the escalator u stand on the right if u are just standing and waiting as u go up and u walk up on the left. its the opposite in aus.

- girls who look utterly gorgeous open their mouth and sound like the butchers daughter or a street urchin.

- the people of black african descent in the city are by far the most gorgeous i have ever seen. I have not seen an english girl who can surpass the beauty of some of black women here, they are gorgeous and stylish and are stunning.

-the daytime tv sucks, really really bad and nighttime tv isnt much better.

- morning news shows are pretty crap, they just repeat the news over and over and over again.

- u cannot wear heels in london without falling over, the cobbled streets are a disaster waiting to happen.

-It is a very gay friendly cities with lots of same sex couples around which is really nice.

- english boys on the whole seem to be cads and playboys. listening to them list conquests on the train, girls talking about boys and seeing the way they act, cheating is a major major fact of life over here it seems. They all cheat on one another quite easily - not to stereotype everyone that is.

-the tabloid papers are hilarious with their sensational stories that make a mockery of journalism, makes me laugh and pisses me off at the same time.

And i think that will do for now. i have been off to several interviews and signed up with two recruitment agencies. They seem to think I wont have too many problems getting work so fingers crossed. Also hunting for a flat share in fulham, clapham and wimbeldon area.

Anyways til next time, which I'm sure will be filled with many more observations, Ciao!

xx

jess

About wandering_jess


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.