Existing Member?

Step by Step

Of peace and madness

PAKISTAN | Sunday, 20 April 2014 | Views [347] | Scholarship Entry

It's 6 pm on Monday 14th April 2014 and almost 40 minutes till sunset. I am sitting high above Lahore's Walled City completely oblivious to the madness at ground level. You see we just got a week long official holiday after two months of working Sundays and to kick start the holidays I opted for neither a trip North nor a hangout with friends but a visit to the Walled City all alone.

A little earlier that evening, pushing my way through the hordes of people and road encroachments in Shahalam Market I couldn't help but laugh at my somewhat weird obsession with noise and dirt. For those who don't know the markets of Walled City aka Old Lahore, think of a frat party then add donkey carts and trucks to it. Don't forget the smell of street food mixed with the air pollution. Beautiful picture right? Now please join me while I squeeze myself through the masses and protect my camera at the same time. Staying clear of bumping into ferocious bargain hunting aunties, I reached Rang Mahal (translated 'Palace of Colors') Market and finally crossed Azam Cloth Market.

Wait. Have I forgotten the place where all this is supposed to lead to? Well that's how it is with Old Lahore. But since all roads have a destination so this journey ended for me at that special place I have fallen in love with.

The majestic 'Wazir Khan Mosque' finished in 1635 AD is a masterpiece of Mughal architecture and is enduringly called 'the mole on the cheek of Lahore'. Smack in the middle of old bazaars, this place is not for the pampered tourist and consequently much less crowded than the famous Badshahi Mosque. But one step inside it and the madness outside seizes to exist. Well except for the occasional loud music and car horns.

Feel free to walk in its central courtyard, get awed by the intricate Qashani tile work or simply connect with the Higher Power in the prayer area. Bored? Then maybe pay Rs.200- Rs.500 to the caretaker and go to the top of the minarets to catch a sunset.

Yes. The orange hues, the birds flying, the cool breeze as I just stood in awe looking at the sun disappearing behind Old Lahore's cluttered skyline. How did I end up being surrounded by such beauty? The answer was spread out below me in the labyrinth of streets and the miniature crowd of which I was a part a few minutes ago. It's my unlikely fondness for complete mayhem that lead me to discover this total isolation and I was happy to have found my answer.

Not that the answers mattered anyway.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About walkon


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.